Discuss Incredibly stiff radiator valves in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm having problems with 1/2" x 15mm lockshield/manual radiator valves that I've bought from one of the major suppliers who mainly sells goods originating from China or India. Apart from the first lot which came in individual bags labelled as 1/22 X 15 but contained 1/2" X 10 they've sent 3 replacement sets of valves all of which were incredibly stiff and which my local plumber said that they were unusable.
The seller claims that their Quality Assurance people have checked them and said that they are OK.

I've knocked up a lash-up rig to test the torque required to move the valve which was 2.3 Newton metres from the closed position or 1.4 at mid range. I understand that British Standard 2767:1991 "Specification for manually operated copper alloy valves for radiators" gives figures for the torsion range but at £134 I'm reluctant to buy a copy just to prove a point. If anyone has a copy I'd be very grateful if they could let me have that information.

The seller does not claim that their valves meet the BS but, if as I suspect, the measured torque wildly exceeds the BS then I may be able get them to supply properly working valves.

Never use fake cheap copy valves they may look ok but in reality are totally inadequate and not fit for purpose , pegler are a sound trusted brand and will be work just fine . Kop

Reply to Incredibly stiff radiator valves in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
Hello, Can anyone give any advice please? Our bathroom radiator won’t heat up. It’s a column radiator from Victorian Plumbing - only 2 years old...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am new to this forum and wanted advise on this situation We recently refurbished our house including installing a new combi boiler and...
Replies
Views
I’ve recently moved into a bungalow with an open vented central heating system installed in 1987 with 8mm microbore running to the 10 radiators...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a standard radiator (1/2" female bsp) on which I'm installing a new lockshield/TRV kit. The lockshield is similar to this: What...
Replies
Views
Back