Discuss installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr Flux

Hay guys i have never attempted a back boiler oil link up before, i have a customer who has purchased a back boiler wood burning stove and is looking to link it up 2 the oil heating to heat the water and rads! Only problems is that its a bungalow and the hwc is on the same floor as the stove so have no way of installing a gravity circuit to the stove! i was thinking of just fully pumping the system and linking the flow and return from the stove into the boiler flow and returns just where they enter the building (obviously installing all the necessary non return valves! Obviously doing it this way is abit dodgy incase of power faiure and the pump fail to operate, causeing the system to pump over into the f &e but i cant see this being a major problem??? any advice guys, has any1 installed a back boiler which is fully pumped????

You need to take care! Why can you not have gravity to cylinder in a bungalow? Can you take the return below floors? Or are they solid?

You cant install a solid fuel boiler without having a gravity circuit to get rid of excess heat in the event of power outage.
There are ways to do this correctly, "H2panel layout 8" is one for a bungalow with a buffer located in the loft, Google it

You need to take care! Why can you not have gravity to cylinder in a bungalow? Can you take the return below floors? Or are they solid?

Yes the floors are all solid, would be abit of a nightmare! explain what you mean exactly, as a would need to take the flow up into the roofspace and down into the hwc that wouldnt work on gravity???

You cant install a solid fuel boiler without having a gravity circuit to get rid of excess heat in the event of power outage.
There are ways to do this correctly, "H2panel layout 8" is one for a bungalow with a buffer located in the loft, Google it

thanks will check it out now!

Yes the floors are all solid, would be abit of a nightmare! explain what you mean exactly, as a would need to take the flow up into the roofspace and down into the hwc that wouldnt work on gravity???

Taking the flow higher than the hot cylinder before dropping down to top connection of coil is totally okay, - providing the cylinder is raised a bit & that the expansion tank is well above flow pipe. Flow must rise to vent pipe & fall from it to cylinder. It is actually an advantage to have the connection above cylinder, even in a house.
Only problem in a flow pipe going over the roofspace is you get the heat of cylinder reversing to fire, when fire is colder.

There are ways to do this correctly, "H2panel layout 8" is one for a bungalow with a buffer located in the loft, Google it[/QUOTE

Can only see a diagram for a bungalow incourprating a unvented system into the link up!

Taking the flow higher than the hot cylinder before dropping down to top connection of coil is totally okay, - providing the cylinder is raised a bit & that the expansion tank is well above flow pipe. Flow must rise to vent pipe & fall from it to cylinder. It is actually an advantage to have the connection above cylinder, even in a house.
Only problem in a flow pipe going over the roofspace is you get the heat of cylinder reversing to fire, when fire is colder.

Thanks for eliberating on that best! Idealy you would be looking a double coil cyclinder then!

Thanks for eliberating on that best! Idealy you would be looking a double coil cyclinder then!

Always a double coil cylinder to prevent other gravity or pumped circuits mixing, - unless you are using some sort of neutraliser, or thermal store.

Flux

Its a completely unsafe installation that you are describing.

The only way that you may be able to achieve a link up in a bungalow is to get the cylinder well up in height above the solid fuel boiler, possibly in the loft space - however that may present problems with siting the cisterns.

There are normally two accepted methods of connecting the two boilers together, the H2 panel as described or a Dunsley Baker Neutraliser. In both cases the there needs to be a fail safe to allow heat to dissipate from the boiler in the event of power supply cut off, this is achieved by positioning the cylinder and a heat leak radiator at sufficient height above the solid fuel boiler to permit effective gravity circulation. Also remember that it's the difference in height between the centre line of the boiler and the centre line of a cylinder or radiator that creates the circulating pressure in a gravity circuit so having them at about the same height will not work.

Correct link ups to do them well and safely are not a job for the faint hearted.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been told that I can't have a mains pressure unvented hot water cylinder with a back boiler on a wood burning stove as the heat source is...
Replies
Views
Hi My grandmothers property has a back boiler heated by a solid fuel appliance using coal. Yes, I know. She’s stubborn! Unfortunately the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially...
Replies
Views
My father has a parkray fire which has a back boiler . He had a leaky radiator, when he was attempting to fix leak the circulating pump...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock