Search the forum,

Discuss Is it normal for PVC water pipes to Hammer? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I've got water hammer issues with my cold feed and some with the hot feed. When the cold sink tap, cold bath tap and thermostatic shower in the main bathroom is opened and closed there are hammering sounds from the living room ceiling. It sounds like knocking. There's no hammering whilst the water is running. The house was built in 2022.

The developer's plumber who I believe installed the plumbing came round, he didn't do any investigation other than stand around to listen to the hammer whilst my wife opened and closed the taps and shower. He then said that it was normal for plastic water pipes to hammer?! I feel this is BS and would like to hear other opinions. None of my neighbours in the street have issues.

The water pressure at the PRV is around 40-60psi depending on the time of day, I tested the pressure from the garden tap which is the second run off from the stopcock and it matched the PRV pressure at the time of 40psi. So the PRV is not faulty which may have masked a high pressure. So could the next probable cause be the water pipes not anchored properly?

I have an unvented cylinder and was wondering if there is anything with that system that could cause water hammer?

Thanks

Definitely worth checking the clipping distances. It's not uncommon for plastic pipework to be installed with insufficient support. "What's the correct clipping interval for plastic pipe?" is a simple question with a complicated answer:

The exact type of pipe is usually printed on it. If not, measure its OD by wrapping a piece of string around it twice and dividing that length by 6.28.

Reply to Is it normal for PVC water pipes to Hammer? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock