Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Is my UFH broken! in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. JasonF88

JasonF88 New Member

Hi

I moved into a house with UFH installed in one room a few months back. Now the weather is getting cooler I've turned it on for the first time and not convinced its working.

When on and room below thermos temp, everything seems to work boiler lights and I can fee the pipes from the manifold going under the floor are warm. When one there are also some banging/sloshing noises from the pipes to the hot water cylinder! But no real sign of the room heating, maybe 1 degree after 2 hours and I suspect that's down to ambient temp not the UFH!

Is there anything I can check/test to confirm?

Thanks

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Maybe air have you tried airing the system ?

3. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Have you left it on for long enough ?
    It won't warm up like a radiator !

4. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

As above underfloor heating is a more consistent constant heat to maintain your room at the set temperature. It's not a blast out of heat like a convector

• Like Like x 2
  5. JasonF88

JasonF88 New Member

I think you might be right and it's air. I think that would explain the banging as well

Thank

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1Steven

1Steven Plumber GSR

Vent it out and give it a couple of days to settle.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Uheat – Wojtek

Uheat – Wojtek Sponsor

Hi Jason,

I would agree with other guys who mentioned about air in the system.
    Try to get rid of the air, don't know what system you've got and whether there's any air vents on the manifold.

Do you know how the system has been installed? Screed, overlay etc?
    UFH takes some time to warm up so you won't feel any difference if you just turn on the heating for a short period of time.
    If it's in screed you have a flow temperature of 40-45 deg C which has to warm up the slab first and that takes time.

Hope you will get this sorted.

Thank you