Discuss I've learned a lot from this forum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DIY Bob

I've learned a lot from this forum over the last few weeks:-
  • I can wire a spur if I've got Part P, but I can't connect a boiler
  • I can connect a boiler if I'm Gas Safe, but I can't fit a spur
  • I can fit a compression fitting, but I don't need PTFE tape
  • I mustn't use lead solder on potable water
  • I can fit a bath mixer, but I need a check valve on the cold main incomer
  • Don't fit a bath mixer if the cold is fed from the main
  • I can get a bath out by jumping on it
  • A Grohe shower is great/okay/rubbish (please delete as appropriate)
  • When using a yorkshire fitting, apply heat to fitting/pipe (delete as appropriate)
  • Don't use laminate flooring in bathrooms (doh!)
  • Keep away from National Utility Solutions (like the plague)
  • DIYers shouldn't deal with Stuck Cocks
Cheers guys, I think I'm nearly ready to go from a DIYer to a plumber...:dizzy2:

Well done. Everybody from oldies like me to newbies just becoming plumbers in the big wide world all learn something new every day. Such is the vast scope of this industry.

• I can fit a bath mixer, but I need a check valve on the cold main incomer
  • Don't fit a bath mixer if the cold is fed from the main
.:dizzy2:

I'd quite like this one cleared up. I get that cold mains and tank hot on a bath mixer can reduce functionality but how likely is it that it will stop them working at all? Don't think I've done this yet. Swapped taps for taps and mixers for mixers but not swapped taps for mixers where cold is mains.

Well running a feed from CWSC might not always be an option customer would go for. Just wondering how much of a gabmle it is.

I'd quite like this one cleared up. I get that cold mains and tank hot on a bath mixer can reduce functionality but how likely is it that it will stop them working at all? Don't think I've done this yet. Swapped taps for taps and mixers for mixers but not swapped taps for mixers where cold is mains.
there is potential for cross contamination and for cold mains to flow up hot water pipe, need chk valves on hot and cold.
imho:)

I meant more pressures. Do bath/shower mixers work with cold mains and cylinder hot? I know equal pressures are prefered but if not poss wondering how well it works done with mains.

I meant more pressures. Do bath/shower mixers work with cold mains and cylinder hot? I know equal pressures are prefered but if not poss wondering how well it works done with mains.

ah well yes to work properly they should, you can put pressure equalising valve in
imo :)

Kitchen mixers are off the mains and as long as check valves are fitted, they are fine. Bath mixers are fine too and have been fitted in houses the length and breadth of the country. Nowadays TMV's are being fitted as standard in baths and basins and a PRV is often fitted to the cold feed to help balance/equalize the pressure with the gravity fed hot supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I've learned a lot from this forum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello, I need some advise, will greatly appreciate if someone can help. My mixer tap is leaking from base want to renew it. However the tap...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
I'm a council tenant and my bathroom basin is broken and needs replacing, it has standard pillar taps. Do you know if councils would ever replace...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock