Search the forum,

Discuss I've learned a lot from this forum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DIY Bob

I've learned a lot from this forum over the last few weeks:-
  • I can wire a spur if I've got Part P, but I can't connect a boiler
  • I can connect a boiler if I'm Gas Safe, but I can't fit a spur
  • I can fit a compression fitting, but I don't need PTFE tape
  • I mustn't use lead solder on potable water
  • I can fit a bath mixer, but I need a check valve on the cold main incomer
  • Don't fit a bath mixer if the cold is fed from the main
  • I can get a bath out by jumping on it
  • A Grohe shower is great/okay/rubbish (please delete as appropriate)
  • When using a yorkshire fitting, apply heat to fitting/pipe (delete as appropriate)
  • Don't use laminate flooring in bathrooms (doh!)
  • Keep away from National Utility Solutions (like the plague)
  • DIYers shouldn't deal with Stuck Cocks
Cheers guys, I think I'm nearly ready to go from a DIYer to a plumber...:dizzy2:

Well done. Everybody from oldies like me to newbies just becoming plumbers in the big wide world all learn something new every day. Such is the vast scope of this industry.

• I can fit a bath mixer, but I need a check valve on the cold main incomer
  • Don't fit a bath mixer if the cold is fed from the main
.:dizzy2:

I'd quite like this one cleared up. I get that cold mains and tank hot on a bath mixer can reduce functionality but how likely is it that it will stop them working at all? Don't think I've done this yet. Swapped taps for taps and mixers for mixers but not swapped taps for mixers where cold is mains.

Well running a feed from CWSC might not always be an option customer would go for. Just wondering how much of a gabmle it is.

I'd quite like this one cleared up. I get that cold mains and tank hot on a bath mixer can reduce functionality but how likely is it that it will stop them working at all? Don't think I've done this yet. Swapped taps for taps and mixers for mixers but not swapped taps for mixers where cold is mains.
there is potential for cross contamination and for cold mains to flow up hot water pipe, need chk valves on hot and cold.
imho:)

I meant more pressures. Do bath/shower mixers work with cold mains and cylinder hot? I know equal pressures are prefered but if not poss wondering how well it works done with mains.

I meant more pressures. Do bath/shower mixers work with cold mains and cylinder hot? I know equal pressures are prefered but if not poss wondering how well it works done with mains.

ah well yes to work properly they should, you can put pressure equalising valve in
imo :)

Kitchen mixers are off the mains and as long as check valves are fitted, they are fine. Bath mixers are fine too and have been fitted in houses the length and breadth of the country. Nowadays TMV's are being fitted as standard in baths and basins and a PRV is often fitted to the cold feed to help balance/equalize the pressure with the gravity fed hot supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I've learned a lot from this forum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock