Discuss I've settled on an Intergas boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

It would be a bit surprising if this intergas approved.

I'll obviously stand to be corrected, as always, but the Intergas Technical Manager, David Stanley, speaking about the HRE & Eco RF combi tells viewers of a Youtube video how to convert the boilers to an open vent by disconnecting the pressure sensor.

It's at 7 mins 30 secs on this clip

Still doesn’t sound a particularly professional step to me. Look Stan if you want Intergas go with Intergas I think you could get a lot better ideas if you get quotes from other companies. Even if you don’t use them. That’s my opinion. I can’t really see the appeal of Intergas myself but there we are. I think a lot of the positive reviews will be down to the fact that they are still a relatively new player to the uk market so common faults will not be appearing yet. Also as said before, in my own limited experience, the one time I’ve worked on one and needed a part it had to come from Holland. I just think you need to think long and hard about what you’re trying to achieve long term as this just doesn’t seem the cost effective way to do it

Last edited:
Separate the boiler from the system with a plate heat exchanger and fit a Viessmann Vitodens 200 that will modulate nice and low.
Regardless of which boiler I fully agree that the principle of fitting an intermediate heat exchanger really is the way fwds for the future...when we have had some spare time we have been exploring this area.
In fact once my new workshop is up and running ...is into this area we are heading. Even if it is a sacraficial unit deduct cost of a
magnetic type filter and boiler parts damaged by liquid sandpaper it starts to make sense.
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Just as a point of information - and to correct my mistake :-

We covered the question of the amount of head required to get the Xclusive to operate open vent. I said I had 3.6 bar and pointed to the video clip in #31.

I need to come back to say that I checked with the Technical helpline and whilst the information in that clip is correct - it does NOT apply to the Xclusive. The Xclusive won't run as open vent just by removing the pressure sensor - all the other models do - but not the Xclusive. They plan to correct that situation in time but it's not available now.

I value the suggestions, advice and options given here and thank you all again. I really am listening and taking note.

Regardless of which boiler I fully agree that the principle of fitting an intermediate heat exchanger really is the way fwds for the future...when we have had some spare time we have been exploring this area.
In fact once my new workshop is up and running ...is into this area we are heading. Even if it is a sacraficial unit deduct cost of a
magnetic type filter and boiler parts damaged by liquid sandpaper it starts to make sense.
Rob Foster aka centralheatking
Are you suggesting Rob that the intermediate HX should be fitted in the event of retrofitting a gas fired boiler to a open vent system only or in all cases? My own > 40 year old open vent system is very clean but has never leaked or required top up as I have a isolating gate valve fitted in the F&E tank make up which I open every month or so to check for any leaks.

Are you suggesting Rob that the intermediate HX should be fitted in the event of retrofitting a gas fired boiler to a open vent system only or in all cases? My own > 40 year old open vent system is very clean but has never leaked or required top up as I have a isolating gate valve fitted in the F&E tank make up which I open every month or so to check for any leaks.
not at all your boiler has water pathways the width of the M6 its the modern small boiler hx
that water pathways less than a *** paper and diverter valves that I mean. centralheatking

although how many times have you been asked to change a three port valve because "the electrician tested it and says it's knackered that's why you have no heating" only to go up into the loft - knock down the arm of the ball valve in the f+e and listen to that glugging sound as the empty system re-fills......

Agree,although its only recently? that sensors are being fitted to oil fired boilers (mine has none) perhaps its to do with the oil fired boiler HX having a water capacity of ~ 20/25 litres and the temp sensor picking up on the high temp (steam generation in that water space) when water level is running low vs gas boiler HX (coil) of only 2 or 3 litres?.

Reply to I've settled on an Intergas boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back