Discuss I've settled on an Intergas boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

although how many times have you been asked to change a three port valve because "the electrician tested it and says it's knackered that's why you have no heating" only to go up into the loft - knock down the arm of the ball valve in the f+e and listen to that glugging sound as the empty system re-fills....
Agreed but that’s not down to design. That’s a failed component. Lot to be said for sealing the system

It's very surprising to me at any rate that any manufacturer would even contemplate removing a sensor, what about the warranty in the event of damage due to low water level?.

stan,you have being doing homework re a new boiler.

You probably know intergas are a reliable brand and last a long time (if correctly serviced). Due to their longevity they don't need exchanging so often,that is now a problem for intergas.
other consideration is intergas have not entered the renewable market and in their home country natural gas is being phased out,so no more new builds resulting in less boiler sales and the existing gas customers are being offered decent cash incentives to go to an alternative renewable heat source.
Here in Uk they have not taken much of the lucrative new build market,which is a shame.
intergas have been bought out-acquired by an American company but will still operate (for how long we don't know) a European subsidiary.

Good luck.
LL

stan,you have being doing homework re a new boiler.

You probably know intergas are a reliable brand and last a long time (if correctly serviced). Due to their longevity they don't need exchanging so often,that is now a problem for intergas.
other consideration is intergas have not entered the renewable market and in their home country natural gas is being phased out,so no more new builds resulting in less boiler sales and the existing gas customers are being offered decent cash incentives to go to an alternative renewable heat source.
Here in Uk they have not taken much of the lucrative new build market,which is a shame.
intergas have been bought out-acquired by an American company but will still operate (for how long we don't know) a European subsidiary.

Good luck.
LL
Interesting first post. Intergas Rep??

Firstly - thanks muchly for the replies to date. All have been inwardly digested and are appreciated.

Also - I am happy to admit when I'm wrong and I don't profess to know it all, coz I don't. And I know I'm often guilty of over-thinking things and this topic is just another one of them.

But Larry Legroom's post, above, has finally clicked a light-switch for me.

I didn't know about the take0ver by Rheem’s Global Water Division on 31st May 2019. But it has made me question whether I can be confident that if I fit something by Intergas, will they still be there, in the UK, to support my boiler in coming years (or months even?).

There are lots of things I like about Intergas :- I like the apparent simplicity and ease of access to the boiler's components. I like the large bore waterways in th HEX. I like the way the Tech. fella at their Head Office was easy to talk to and he offered pre-purchase info. very readily without any stuffy officialdom. I obviously don't know, in practice and at first hand, about spares and back-up in 2019. They may well be absolutely fine. Callout response times are something I read about and gather WB are (or were) good and the others might be good or might be variable - but I obviously don't know from experience.

Additonally, as stated, I fancied fitting a combi and initially using it as an OV or, possibly, a System boiler with the ability of being able to use it in full combi mode if I did away with the cylinder at some point in the future.

I think I was wrong on that point, mainly coz a combi wouldn't be entirely suitable here, primarily due to long pipe runs from the boiler (in the attached garage). My cylinder is pretty central to the taps and showers.

In summary then, I've gone back to the prospect of sticking to either a plain old Open Vent boiler (which, of course, I can easily convert to run as a System boiler later if I decided to) - or to bite the bullet and fit a Sytem boiler at the outset. We've covered that earlier and it's only the possibility of a leak due to pressurising the system that causes doubts

But no combi.

Regarding which OV (or System) boiler - I guess we're back to the likes of Ideal Logic + Max or Glow-worm Energy (similar to the Vaillant Ecofit Pure?) in the appropriate size (the current boiler is 50.000 btu/h and my Mears Calculator suggests a total of 16kw - so either the 15 or the 18 versions of either make presumably?).

I won't go down the Viessman route, much as I like the idea of a stainless HEX - I think I'd be opening another can of worms.

Sorry for long post.

And further thanks.

Last edited:
Hard to who knows owns what these days Stan, being in a garage I would go for a boiler pre insulated inside the casing another thing for you to consider ? Just serviced a HRE 36 combi I fitted a year ago and that is insulated . Kop

IMG_20190610_083800.jpg

IMG_20190610_104339.jpg

I still really don’t understand your aversion to sealing your system when so many professionals have told you it should be fine. Likewise if you really were thinking about the Combi then you could use a combi to do the some taps and using the Boiler to still heat a hot water cylinder still the options are there as I think loads of people said I really think you just need to talk to some other installers don’t just limit yourself to your mate

Thanks, and, no, Riley, I realise you don't get why I have expressed reservations. And, of course, I hear what you, and others, say and I accept why you say it. But we both know that there are bods who get customers to sign a proviso that if a newly pressurised system does happen to leak they (the installer) has pre-warned them and won't be held responsible.

However, I might, just possibly, ;) , have inferred that, following the advice received, I'm coming round to the idea of pressurising it.

Hopefully there's no harm in exploring and considering the pros and cons and this is, with assistance of yourself and fellow members, is what I've done and appreciate the progress we're making. It's not an urgent matter insofar as the boiler still works, hence I can deliberate without being under pressure and the forum is a helpful place to air the options.

Yes, I was hooked on the idea of a combi for the reasons given. But, also for the subsequent reasons given, which include the impractically long hot water delivery pipe run to distant taps, I think I was wrong and I have returned to keeping the cylinder and three way valve etc (which are physically very accessible and have served our usage patterns well to date).

Also I just feel the simplicity of an OV (or System boiler) appeals to me. The Intergas has (had) much going fo it in my eyes but, we've been there and done that for the foreseeable future.

Yes, indeed, there will be benefit in getting other installers in. As I said I had one firm to quote, but at that time I also contacted two others, one of whom never bothered to come back to make an appointment after we spoke briefly on the phone - and the other one didn't reply after I left a message on their answerphone, and if I have a tame plumber/installer who I have known for 15 years and who pops round at the drop of a hat to fix anything that needs fixing - then it would be a bit of an embarrassment and a cause of awkwardness to get another installer in to do a similar job.

All the time you and/or others are happy to mull the matter over here, then I'm very happy to chew the fat and explore possibilities and appreciate the benefit of your experience, but if you decide the topic has run it's course then obviously you'll say so and call it a day

Ta muchly.

Last edited:
Something else maybe worth mentioning in the event of you retaining your Open Vent system. Its very important that the circ pump matches very closely the pumping characteristics of your present Grundfos pump as there have been numerous instances of pump over/pump back into the F&E tank because of this (mismatch).
Ideally you should get a externally mounted pump like you have and install it in the same position, I don't know if you can still purchase gas boilers without an integral pump but I would certainly suggest asking the question, one way or the other I would write down (now) the exact model number etc of your present pump and its speed setting, it just might save you some grief later.

Really sorry but you've well and truly lost me there, John.

I said I've re-considered and was reckoning on doing a 'one for one' swap by fitting either a new OV boiler (which, as you will surely know, has no internal pump) and thus retaining the existing Grunfos pump in the airing cupboard - or possibly creating a sealed system by either fitting a new system boiler with built in EV, or maybe converting a new OV boiler to a sealed system with a seperate expansion vessel etc at a later date.

John has a bit of a pump fetish I would not worry about. The pump let your installer think about it. Open vent boiler do not have a pump In that’s all you need to know if that’s the route you’re going down

Last edited:

Reply to I've settled on an Intergas boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back