Discuss Just been accused of being a rip-off merchant. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Emergency call. Leak coming through ceiling. 40 gallon CWSC sitting on chipboard buckling so bad it probably had minutes left before it came through their ceiling. Didn't discuss price, just set about draining it pronto through taps and through syphoning via hose into buckets. Cut cold in, add isolator so they can put water back on. Remove connections to cistern, pull to one side, confirm base crumbling to pieces. Measure up for replacement. 1hr 15mins.

£50.

"Really? That's a bit steep isn't it?"

Thing is you get a run of people who are reasonable and then the one time you don't mention price until you've done some work and they'll be the ones who expect you to work for £10 a hour.

More than reasonable price, you would have thought they would have been happy you stopped the water.

Just tell them you have just saved them their insurance excess.
Very reasonable price, especially on an emergency call.

well how are you supposed to make £80k a year!!! lol

For an emergency call out and parts and labour I think you were very reasonable

Did he/she pay you?

Yeah, wrote me a cheque. Said they still wanted a price on finishing the job but kind of puts you off you know? Not sure I want to work for someone who thinks I'm over-priced.

I'd like to think they're not penny-pinching but just have instead had the good fortune of not having any plumbing problems for a very long while and no idea what it might cost. Bloke did say he changed their CWSC in their last house but is too past it for all that now.

so are you in the mind set that you will be telling this guy that your 'too busy' at the moment

If you agree a fixed price up front with him, even deliver a quote for the work to be done I cant see any issues as long as this £50 cheque clears

NO idea what he is comparing you to but that will be a factor for him

HOW MUCH! I wouldn't have paid you any more than a fiver and you'd be damn grateful you got that.....

Turn up in your flash van with your fancy OOO lah lah spanner and your little isolating valve that you happened to have to hand. And as for knowing what to do I could have gone to B & Q spoke to one of there experts and they would have told me what to do! do you not watch that tv programme watch dog.... thief should have just held a knife to my throat.

OR:

Thankyou very much for turning up so quickly, I had visions of the ceiling caving in, £50 thats really reasonable thanks here's a tenner extra for your trouble. If I'd called a big company they'd have charged me a £90 just to turn up.

Give them a price for doing the tank add a healthy profit for yourself to cover the hassel you'll get. I'd have charged £100 for that though. At least they would have had something to moan about.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Just been accused of being a rip-off merchant. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock