Discuss Kitchen mixer tap disaster - advice please in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Isn't 1/2" tube generally slightly larger OD than 15mm?
I've always thought it was smaller, I have a scrap bit which I'm pretty sure is 1/2 and you can see the looseness of a 15mm olive on it.
I'll go out to the van and get a bit of 15 for comparison in a bit

Attachments

• 20210918_144021.jpg
    20210918_144021.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 13
3/4" is definitely smaller than 22mm (21.7?). But I seem to remember the issue with 1/2" is getting an end feed fitting over the pipe and I ordered some 1/2" to 15mm transition couplings from BES because sanding the end of a bit of tube to fit (Graham merchant staff's suggestion because they don't stock them) is hard work when it is inevitably in an awkward location :)

Considering your olive is on the end of a pipe cut with a tube cutter, it doesn't look that loose.

It doesn't look that loose but it certainly doesn't look tight.
Stevenson says
0.596" / 15.14 mm so it looks like you are correct. 👍

Isn't 1/2" tube generally slightly larger OD than 15mm?
Yes, I think you are generally right. Found this..................
'Here's the facts about 1/2" and 15mm tube:

1/2" tube was to BS 659 and a maximum o/d was specified as 0.596" or 15.14mm, no minimum was listed but a wall thickness range was quoted - I don't have that stuff to hand.

15mm tube is to BS 2871 and has an o/d of 14.965 (minimum) to 15.045 (maximum). Normal tube for plumbing purposes is Table X (half hard temper) with a wall thickness of 0.7mm. Table Y for underground use has a wall thickness of 1mm and Table Z soft tube is 0.5mm.

Metric fittings for solder have an i/d of 15.065 to 15.145mm.

So... if you have a fitting which is at the larger end of the permitted range it will fit perfectly.'

A possibility that standards may have dropped with copper thickness back in the day but unlikely. Seems that 15mm pipe uses a lot less copper as only 0.7mm thickness.

Reply to Kitchen mixer tap disaster - advice please in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back