Discuss Leak in customer house. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything could have happened
Guy fitted the shower and drilled through a pipe

In the opening post and post #19 you say he’s fixed the leak, you also says he’s got on with the job which was the reason why I said just chalk it down to experience and move on, really because there’s no real evidence of a leak apart from the damage, but now you’re saying he doesn’t have the part to fix the leak.
Plus, all that damage from a small solder leak? cabinets and Lino damage to £350? I just assumed he’d called out emergency plumber on extortionate hourly rate to fix the leak...
seems the story is getting a little twisted here pal
Hi mate, to clarify. I've asked him if he has fixed the leaked does he still have the faulty elbow, does he have any video or pictures. He hasn't responded to this message? I sent that roughly 24hrs ago.

I would imagine that type of leak would either be a slow weeping leak or pin hole spray. Either way most of the damage would be in the ceiling no? Only damage he is estimating for ceiling I think is £30. Like wtf, surely the ceiling would have to come down before you do that amount of damage to a lino then ply?

No he said he fixed the leak himself.

As I said before, I think you need to go around there all nicey nicey and have a look yourself, so far you haven’t been to the property after the leak occurred- I definitely wouldn’t pay up under those circumstances.

Only similar thing I have had was during a whole bathroom refit I didn’t notice a weep from rad pipework when I’d removed it but not yet altered for new towel rail.

When I came to alter pipes I saw it weeping down copper pipe and under floor - unfortunately right above a pboard joint so it went through leaving a discolouration on ceiling.

I offered to make good that area but she insisted whole ceiling needed doing- I said let me do that area first and we’ll see if all needs doing after - in which case I’ll do it (reasonable).

She then insisted that ‘her’ decorator did it and I got a bill for £125.

I thought this unfair but just paid up, and struck her off my list.

When asked to look at kitchen tap 9 months later, I just said no sorry (nose to spite face I know - but it felt good!)

I think my point is, check out that it is your fault- behave reasonably at all times , but ultimately some people are di*ks and you MUST just move on knowing at least you have behaved in a defendable fashion.

Hi just a quick update, not heard a peep from him since I asked for the faulty elbow and video/photos. That was Monday.

Reactions: JKG
Hi what's the best advice in dealing with a leak in a customers house?

1. Stripped out bathroom suite, installed 1st fix shower pipes in stud wall.
2. Turned water on, cheeked all joints.
3. Show customer completed works. Happy with job and paid me
4. Get a phone call 3 days later saying there is a leak. I get him to discuss over the phone. He idtenifies it as the shower pipes, precisely the speed fit cap I've capped the end off with. Job done. Call me back later to say its not its the soldered elbow at the wall.
5. I arrange to go there a couple days later, call him on the day before no answer. Texts me in the middle night saying he has forgot to leave me a key. Can I come the following day?
6. The following day I get shingles confirmed and decided to take a few day off. He is now not happy.
7. After taking two days off, I make contact. He has now fixed my leak, cracked on with the job because he could not wait and sent me an estimated damage cost of £350.
8. Try to resolve over messages, he lift the water on while property was empty, no one went to house till 2 days after plumbing work was done etc
Now it's getting pretty heated.

To summarise, this is my first unhappy customer. I went self employed in May. I have insurance etc. He wanted the job done cheap as chips. He was plumbing in the kitchen sink to a 1st year level. One of his DIY moments could have caused this.

What is the correct procedure you experienced guys go through when this sort of things happened?

Cheers Ryan
Firstly nobody is perfect, only fools do not learn by their mistakes
I have been in this game since 1982 and had quite a few fellas on.
Plenty of hassle in 30 years with that many fellas.
Expect trouble if you are in business...it how You deal with it that
really counts. You have arrived at the right place for advice.
Speedfit stopend naughty, I would stop all communication with him
if you want offer £100 go away money....VERBALLY. £350 is silly.
Get a buddy self employed plumber so both of you can be ill or go on holiday and cover each other and settle up if their is a problem.

Keep on fitting , heed the advice in here, care but dont worry
centralheatking

And everyone ignored my post about telling you to just roll over.;). always get proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak in customer house. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock