Search the forum,

Discuss Leak stain on ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi Friends

Got to paint a ceiling after water leak, usual brown stain.

Anyone know the best stain block the actually works?

It's in a kitchen so white emulsion.

Cheers

Rct

Really? How many coats? It's a bad stain. I don't wanna keep going back.

I'm no decorator! I've heard you need an oil based product then slap on the emulsion.

The spray tuff is rubbish. This works but usually needs two coats. Doesn't quite do what it says on tin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 49
Don't waste your money. I'm with RPM, oil based undercoat is quite sufficient.

I normally use the aerosol stain block. few coats and it's done. Quite often blends in with white emulsion as well.

No risk at all, recommended method by Dulux. Or at least is was once before stain stoppers were invented.

Last edited:
have just finished a mega job I have been on with all summer, when the decorators came in (professional lads, 4 off them )
Dave the owner had marked all the emulsioned walls with a blue permanent marker, there were water leak stains on both the kitchen and lounge ceilings. No under coat, just stain blocker .......................... I rest my case LOL

I`m fast coming to the conclusion that Stain blockers are the old oil based undercoats but cost more. lol

Coat of eggshell and then emulsion over. Never had any problem at home. If its at a custs then its a decorators job.

I would cover the stain with some oil based gloss paint
then go over it with the correct finish paint. This will work
until 'the cheque clears' its a short term fix CHK

toooooorisky oil base undercoat with emulsion on top, for the sake of a few quid....nah LOL.

it is ok to use undercoat as it blocs it coming back, however it gives a shiny finnish, that means you have to repaint whole ceiling at 3 coats of touching up, looks odd, stain blocker as above pic is much quicker, dries in half hour and can paint straight onto it, 2 coats and your off!!

All depends on customer though as most will want whole ceiling repainted as it will look different otherwise

Stain block aerosol for me. 2-3 coats and 2 cotes of emulsion on top. I use aerosol because it drys very quickly and I dont have to wait around to top coat.

As in update on this one friends-

Spray stain block - tried 2 £8 & £13 per can. Didn't work.

Crown stain block - rubbish

Oil based undercoat - seems to have worked. Put a coat on, left it to dry, emulsion x2 coats & fingers crossed the ceiling looks good.

I'll update with any change.

Rct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak stain on ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

There's a leak in the ceiling of my Dad's living room which is on the ground floor and has a bedroom directly above it...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also...
Replies
Views
Hi Plumbersforums, I’m not a plumber, but a tenant with a possible plumbing issue. I live in a 100+ year-old walkup, and my landlord renovates...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, complete novice here. The other day we noticed a brown stain on the kitchen ceiling. We have an unvented hot water cylinder in the airing...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock