Discuss Leaking Soil Stack ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've attached a picture below of a leaking PVC soil stack that needs to be repaired. As can be seen, the leak is coming from the bottom of the stack from what
appears to be a socket ! My first inclination was to cut a small section ( about 3 inches) out of the stack about two feet up from the leak and then pull the
lower part of the stack out in order to see the best way of making the repair.

There is a horizontal branch (for a toilet) about 8 feet up from the ground that goes directly into the house so this should support the upper part of the stack
while the repair is done. However, once the repair is made, a slip coupling would have to be placed over the cut segment of pipe but this would then obviously
not give any support to the upper half of the stack !

Removing the stack completely to make the repair would be a nightmare because of the horizontal branch going back directly into the wall for the WC.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Stack.jpg

I think if t was me i would be knocking out the cemented tee and remove the upper part of the stack 1st and then replace the damaged coupling and re-build and make right. Just charge accordingly. You want to get it right 1st time while the cust is paying not have to come back and do it again for free.

Thanks for the pic smtplumbing. I've seen plenty of those fittings in the merchants but had hoped to get a solid plastic fitting like the one that is installed already. Either way, I'd have to cut a piece out of the pipe and also use a slip coupling. Apparently, the stack was installed by the council but, as far as I'm aware, the tenants now own the property but they can't afford to have the whole stack removed in order to replace the leaking joint. To be honest, the jobs a pain in the a**e and, after more than a year of not hearing anything from the customer, I'd assumed they'd got someone else to do it. I'm inclined to think that everybody else was suddenly very busy after they'd seen the job.

if you have a branch cemented in the wall the stack wont fall down dont cut to close i cut a metre high and replace from there down get a new section in using a 4 inch slip coupling or a fernco rubber then cement the base if you cant get a 4 inch slip coupling ,change merchants or rasp the stop out of a normal one

if you have a branch cemented in the wall the stack wont fall down dont cut to close i cut a metre high and replace from there down get a new section in using a 4 inch slip coupling or a fernco rubber then cement the base if you cant get a 4 inch slip coupling ,change merchants or rasp the stop out of a normal one

Steve, found a solid (not rubber) slip coupling in Wickes of all paces.

You need to be looking in builders merchants for the underground to above connector;

The link is for Supersleeve pipe, depending on it's age it may be older Hepsleeve which had a slightly larger diameter.

Hepworth Supersleve Housedrain 100 Adaptor Coupling To Hepsleve

That looks perfect snowhead, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Soil Stack ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back