Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking TF1 Filter after boiler service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Connorf

Plumber came to service our worcester bosch boiler the other day. He mentioned that the TF1 magnetic filter was leaking. This had not been the case before he came. I addition he also said he put some sealant round the cap to stop it leaking. Whilst he was here we heard some really loud banging. I though this was particularly unusual just for a service. I questioned what this banging was about and he then said that they had to hit the filter with a hammer to get it off (bear in mind it is only plastic) and said that they usually come with a wrench to remove the cap. I told him that we had one and he should have asked for it. Anyway service done, all sorted, however I wasn't certain about how leak proof the TF1 was so left all the stuff out the cupboards and put a contained underneath. Upon closer inspection it appeared to be leaking around the rim of the cap, directly below where there are witness marks from the hammering they did.
I'm no plumber, but surely this isn't standard practice?
Anyway, I rang him up and said its leaking and asked him to come out and have a look.
My partner feels like we the plumber will make us pay for this, I on the other hand think not.
Let me know your thoughts?

welcome to the forum.

I would want to sort it for free if I had left it leaking if it was previously ok.
but???
they are prone to leaking after being opened, usually a good clean of the seal and some silicone grease will resolve this.
Possibly will need a new seal, or is the unit cracked?

They often leak when the lid us removed, the o-ring should be changed.
If it was leaking before it's unlikely to be a free repair.

Find a new plumber if you don't trust this one

I don't get why he attacked it with the hammer... Common sense suggests you ask the customer for the spanner?

Iv not had any trouble with the Tf1 seals, just a clean up & silicone grease maybe... If it's a very old filter then they could be more prone to leak!

bloody hell.. if no wrench present I have an oil filter strap to get them off..
like everyone has said, check the o ring isnt twisted in the seat if you can.. if not, unless the unit is cracked, its should be ok with a little attention.

Thanks for the replies guys. Filter is only about 2 years old so I can't imagine the seals would have degraded that much. It definitely wasn't leaking before the service.

He's gonna pop round tomorrow and have a look.

Another thought. Looking at this particular TF1 system, you don't even need to remove the top cap to clean the filter. Its suppose to be a fast clean and you drain from the bottom, so I'm guessing he didn't know what he was doing. Also, maybe he didn't tighten it up enough, considering he didn't have the wrench, unless he hammered again...

you can drain the TF-1 at the bottom but to clean the magnetic rod you have to remove the top

Fernox advertise you can blast clean it, but I find ipthat dosent always remove all the crud off the magnet!

2 years old it would reseal fine, no silicone sealant needed etc!

It has isolation valves, you could do it DIY if your handy...

I would never take the lid off the the horrible things, magnet out blast through and magnet back in, awful things leak for a past time, much like the adey ones as well

Part of the problem with these is, tightening it up when new with the spanner. They just need to be tightened by hand. The spanner can be used for loosening. They should give 10 "o" rings with them so a new one can be fitted each time.

If theres damage marks to the actual filter and its leaking from there realistically you could ask the plumber to fit a new one FOC as he's damaged it instead of using the correct tools although you might have a job getting him to do it

If it has only started leaking after he has worked on it then I would expect him to sort it for free. With the TF1's its best not to remove the top as they are notorious for leaking afterwards

don't need to remove cap to clean filter. Closed the isolation valves remove magnetic rod from top then open bottom drain valve. Open inlet isolation valve to flush out filter.

Last edited:
you can drain the TF-1 at the bottom but to clean the magnetic rod you have to remove the top

forget that... magnacleans need to have the top off.. not the fernox ones, sorry

I find the Fernox filter does need fairly tight after you have slackened it.
But that really needs the proper spanner to do it. They are really too big a diameter to tighten many other ways.
Sounds like the plumber was a bit silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking TF1 Filter after boiler service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock