Discuss Limescale Inhibitor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LCV

Hi,

I am planning to replace my combi boiler with a system boiler and indirect unvented cylinder. Is it worth fitting a limescale Inhibitor? I am thinking Scale Master. Just wondering how effective limescale inhibitors are.

Many thanks!

Are you planning to do this yourself? Any decent heating installer would know the answer!

If the water hardness in your area is above a certain level, manufacturers insist on one being installed. As to whether they work, there's little solid evidence either way, but failing to install one where required will invalidate the boiler warranty.

I fit the Liff Wrappa 2 on installations, if I need to keep costs down then I will fit an inline cartridge type. As above though your gas safe registered and G3 registered engineer will be best person to speak to. See what they recommend and have a preference for.

Thanks for your replies. I have met with three plumbers to quote for the job but only the last one I met with has listed installing a limescale inhibitor on his quote. Or perhaps the other two plumbers didn't explicitly break this out in their quote but would have installed it anyway?

He has also put down a Worcester magnetic inline sludge preventer as an optional extra of £270, do you think this is worth doing?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies.
He has also put down a Worcester magnetic inline sludge preventer as an optional extra of £270, do you think this is worth doing?

Thanks again.

I don't know what that is? If he is referring to a filter, then I see no reason why he wants an extra £270? An extra £150-180 should be more than enough as he is doing the installation anyway. If he had attended and quoted £270 to just fit a filter, I would have understood but an extra £270 for filter when quoting for an upgrade? That's taking the proverbial. You may as well ask Pimlico Plumbers or British Gas to do the installation.

Why did you mention Pimlico Plumbers? Are they considered the best? Funny enough they were one of the plumbers or rather a "Technical Manager" came out to quote but they were by far the most expensive by a long long way.
Actually just looking over their quote installing a limescale inhibitor is not listed.

Inline scale reducer is a must on a combi since secondary heat exchanger gets clogged up extremely easy. On an unvented cylinder? Sure its helpful but by no means essential for average water

I think they're quite important on an unvented. Went to a call out to replace the lower immersion on the cylinder and I'm not kidding but the bottom 3rd of the tank was pure limescale! It does come down to the water hardness where you live but the area I cover means a limescale reducer is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Limescale Inhibitor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need...
Replies
Views
I am repiping my whole house and changing from combi boiler to a 30kW system boiler & 250Ltr or 300Ltr unvented indirect hw tank. Can somebody...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Dear forum, I've an open (gravity) CH system supplying radiators only (AGA does the HW separately). It's a Vaillant Ecotec 435 installed 2018...
Replies
Views
Hi, Recently noticed an issue with thermostatic shower that was determined to get sorted. The shower would drop (which got worse) and would not...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock