Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Limescale problem any suggestions please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been asked to replace a shower mixer control unit, it is made by Triton, which has become incredibly stiff, as it has gunked up with limescale and it is virtually impossible to turn on. The woman says she has only had the shower for two years and it has gradually become blocked up. The shower is pumped but the pump only turns on when a certain flow rate has been reached.

The other taps in the house work fine and she does not want a water softner

Two questions

1. Can any solution be put on the mixer control unit to clean off the limescale?
2. Can you buy just the control unit as she wants to keep the pipework as it is?

Many thanks

Paul

If you strip out the valve you could try some de-scaler however,

You should be able to get replacement parts ok, ring triton and give them the model and they will be able to sell you replacement bits. If you fit a Combimate to the incoming mains it should help with the limescale problem, you would be better fitting a softener though.

What about electrolytic/magnetic scale inhibitor?

try one of those limebeaters, they aren't to badly priced and make claims to dramatically reduce Limescale

I have fitted them in the past with some good results

I had the same problem with the stiff control. I removed the cover and worked in 3 in 1 oil turning the control know back and forwards - it now works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Limescale problem any suggestions please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
I removed a bath from my sister in law’s bathroom about eight years ago. I cut back the hot and cold to the bath and branched off these to a new...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
hi, new member here. I have a question for the forum. I have a shower/ mixer in the second bathroom which has always had poor flow. The mixer has...
Replies
Views
Welder
W
Hello, We have a pretty standard gravity fed system. Two cold water and one expansion tank in the loft and vented cylinder in the airing board...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock