Search the forum,

Discuss Little drips on valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I know nothingabout plumbing but I have two pipes in my kitchen that run to my washing machine.One has a red cap on and another has a blue cap on – i am assuming this relatedto cold and hot water supply. Now, there is a small drip happening from each ofthese just around the area where I think there is a round plastic valve thing.
Is it possible for someone like myself, an absolute amateur whenit comes to plumbing and DIY, to unscrew these and replace them as i think thelittle drips are through wear and tear (but i could be wrong) – well I am hoping it is just a matterof changing these and not an entire pipe.
Should I try to tighten them?
I have placed a little plastic tub underneath to catch the waterbut after about 12 hours it is almost full.
Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Should I call out a professional to do this level of job?
Thank you!

Hi Trac,
These valves are well known for developing a leak over time, usually occurs when you've been turned after a period stuck in one position.

It's quite a simple job to change them, but if you're at all unsure, it would be quite a cheap job to have done by a plumber.

If you want to have a go yourself, I'm sure there will be videos on you rude describing the necessary steps.

However, if you're at all unsure, I would recommend posting in the plumber required section of this forum with your location and one of the fine plumbers who frequent this site can come and have a look for you.

do you have tools eg pump pliers and adjustable spanner/ spanners? if not call a plumber out shouldn't be expensive

Wouldn't hurt replacing both washing machine hoses before you go calling a pro in.

Wouldn't hurt replacing both washing machine hoses.

why both most new and some old only uses the cold, so you could cap the hot off if not used

the tiniest plumbing job can become a disaster if you don't know what you're doing. if you're remotely comptetent at DIY then give it a go. Otherwise, don't.

e.g. the coloured handles may not have much purchase on the valve and may feel like it's turned off when it's not. and someone could have cross threaded the hose and just about got it to hold for dear life. then you start to unscrew and wooosh. i speak from experience.

Last edited:
hello, this is really helpful - i wma going to monitor for a couple more days as the leaking seems to be less, very bizzare.....but I will wait a couple more days and see - much appreciated

hello, this is really helpful - i wma going to monitor for a couple more days as the leaking seems to be less, very bizzare.....but I will wait a couple more days and see - much appreciated

they will start leaking again if you turn them off and its prob slowed the leak because its furring up :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Little drips on valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock