Search the forum,

Discuss Local isolation requirement for appliances in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

Having a brain fade moment guys - is it an actual requirement to have an isolation valve for individual gas appliances, or just good practice?

I'm certain it's a requirement but I can't find evidence to back it up. Someone is arguing that If the ECV is within easy reach it's just good practice and not a requirement...

Please provide a source of evidence if you can rather than an opinion. Important to prove this one way or another, as customer is a stickler for doing things by the book.

Sorry to hijack this mas weirdly I have exactly the same question

Wasn't this in a tb a month or two back about hobs ??

Having a brain fade moment guys - is it an actual requirement to have an isolation valve for individual gas appliances, or just good practice?

I'm certain it's a requirement but I can't find evidence to back it up. Someone is arguing that If the ECV is within easy reach it's just good practice and not a requirement...

Please provide a source of evidence if you can rather than an opinion. Important to prove this one way or another, as customer is a stickler for doing things by the book.

From current BS 6798:2014 Specification for selection, installation, inspection, commissioning, servicing and maintenance of gas-fired boilers of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net

7.5 Gas supplies and pipework
7.5.1 First and second family gases

7.5.1.5 A boiler shall be provided with an adjacent isolating valve if this is not already supplied with the boiler.

Last edited:
26 (6)
No person shall install a gas appliance without there being
at the inlet to it means of shutting off the supply of gas to the appliance
unless the provision of such means is not reasonably practicable.
Guidance 26(6)
The means of shutting off the gas supply to an appliance may
comprise either a conventional isolation valve, or other effective means, eg a
self-sealing plug-in connector (commonly used on cooker installations) or a
screw down restrictor elbow (such as used on gas fire installations). A shut-
off device at the inlet to a gas appliance is regarded as part of 'installation
pipework' for the purpose of these Regulations (see definition in regulation
2(1))

The shut-off device required under this regulation assists tightness
testing of installation pipework and allows an appliance to be
isolated/disconnected in case of an emergency, eg if the appliance develops
a gas leak or otherwise becomes dangerous. Although the regulation
recognises that provision of a shut-off device at the inlet of an appliance
might occasionally be difficult, there will be few, if any, situations where this
is not reasonably practicable

Last edited:
Basically we are down to, if you can fit one-do, if you can't-doesn't matter
Gas fires mostly come with restrictor type taps, cookers have flexible and plug, and we are back on hobs really.

Depends on what you think the reasonably practicable means. i think there are very few situations when you cant fit one, if manufacturers instructions require one (which most do) then you cant fit without. cant think of any hob install that one cant be fitted, if the pipework needs to altered then so be it, the customer not wanting to pay for it to be done correctly is no excuse.

At least the lads on here give good advice,looking at fb groups half the retards on there would be ridiculing right now ,makes me feel how more civilised this forum is

We have just recently replaced some electric ovens fitted under units, which are deeper than the old existing, and have to do serious modification to the hob pipe work to fit the new ovens,there was not enough room for the pipes to run at the back of the ovens, there were drawer units either side with deep drawers, so no valves could be fitted.

Cheers all, just what I needed! To be clear, customer (landlord, who I work for direct), has no problem with things being done right, and he trusts me.

The agent claimed that I was making work for myself and there was no requirement to have isos, because his team refurbed the kitchens and I noted this on the CP12.

Now the landlord is getting me to rectify, and the agent will be paying me out of what he charged for the kitchen works, so he's unhappy at losing some of his profit...

Cheers all, just what I needed! To be clear, customer (landlord, who I work for direct), has no problem with things being done right, and he trusts me.

The agent claimed that I was making work for myself and there was no requirement to have isos, because his team refurbed the kitchens and I noted this on the CP12.

Now the landlord is getting me to rectify, and the agent will be paying me out of what he charged for the kitchen works, so he's unhappy at losing some of his profit...

Last edited by a moderator:
You have always had to fit an isolating valve to every appliance as far back as i can remember.
The usual agents knowing everything about feck all.

Btw test points before every appliance is coming to a screen near you soon

We have just recently replaced some electric ovens fitted under units, which are deeper than the old existing, and have to do serious modification to the hob pipe work to fit the new ovens,there was not enough room for the pipes to run at the back of the ovens, there were drawer units either side with deep drawers, so no valves could be fitted.

iso valves in/ under plinth of cupboard most suitable or another smaller oven should be fitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Local isolation requirement for appliances in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had to switch off an old fellas heating today as he had no fixed ventilation for warm air unit, tried to argue the benefits of letting him use it but was bashed with the letter of the 'law' by gassafe advisor. I totally get the point but when does it become ok (no a requirement) to leave an 80+...
Replies
Views
I have just completed my training with Scots Gas Training based in Stirling so I thought I would leave a review for anyone who may be considering a career change of direction. I visited a couple of training centres in Scotland before signing up to the Scots Gas Training course, one centre I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, still working on my portfolio but having a bit of confusion regarding allowances for fittings when working out pipe size requirements as I'm reading conflicting information. In college we were told to allow 0.5m for Tees and elbows and 0.3m for bends. My Viper gas handbook says the same...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm not a plumber (but God knows I wished I took a plumbing apprenticeship rather than aerospace engineering). Sorry about this novel - I hope that someone can be bothered to read it. My latest gas bill was £400 for 2 months (don't laugh - we had it on 24/7 to keep cats warm ffs...
Replies
Views
Hello all! Seeking opinions/advice on how to handle an idea from a client of mine, I wonder if anyone else has come across this before? One important caveat: My primary discipline is as a gas safe engineer! I am NOT a "dyed in the wool" plumber of many years experience, so please be gentle &...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock