Search the forum,

Discuss Loft water tank - weight of 100 gallon tank - ok? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JDX

Hi to all, I'm new on here so be gentle:wings:
I wish to put a 100 gallon coffin tank in the loft to replace the tank which is not big enough.
Should I be worrying about the total filled weight of it? Any structural engineers here who can reassure me? ( I can measure the joist thickness & distances if needed ).
The house is a victorian 3 storey semi detached & the tank will fit up against & parallel with the party wall ( which is where the existing small tank is located & which logically seems the strongest point.) I plan to stand it on scaffold boards on the joists. I am choosing this size of tank because there are 2 bathrooms, one en-suite, one main bathroom with bath, & the ensuite wetroom has an Aqualisa digital shower fitted, which states a minimum tank size of 50 gallons - therefore for both bathrooms a 100 gallon tank will do the job? Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

Gotta say JDH that green writing is really hard to read.

However, 1 gallon of water weighs 10lbs so your tank could conceivably weigh 1000lbs, quite a lot eh!

Positioning of the new tank should be over a load bearing wall or on a load bearing framework.

That was a quick response! Sorry about the green writing, a load bearing framework? Is that something I can make? I will investigate this - thanks.

Hi to all, I'm new on here so be gentle:wings:
I wish to put a 100 gallon coffin tank in the loft to replace the tank which is not big enough.
Should I be worrying about the total filled weight of it? Any structural engineers here who can reassure me? ( I can measure the joist thickness & distances if needed ).
The house is a victorian 3 storey semi detached & the tank will fit up against & parallel with the party wall ( which is where the existing small tank is located & which logically seems the strongest point.) I plan to stand it on scaffold boards on the joists. I am choosing this size of tank because there are 2 bathrooms, one en-suite, one main bathroom with bath, & the ensuite wetroom has an Aqualisa digital shower fitted, which states a minimum tank size of 50 gallons - therefore for both bathrooms a 100 gallon tank will do the job? Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

scaffold boards are no good it has to be on ply which is at least 150mm larger than the tank in all directions alway fit the tank above a supporting wall so the weight is transferd to the floor below dont for instance fit it directly above the stair well where theres little support and when you fill up the ceiling will bow not that its ever happened to me

the load bearing framework would be easy to make, a bit like making partition walling, so you would have long pieces of wood going the opposite way to your beams, perhaps 4x4 sized wood. that would evenly distribute the weight of the tank. Secure them with one piece of wood at either end (going the opposite way) and then to stop the wood moving/warping, get nail some wood in-between the gaps.

I would also try and position the framework so the middle is on top of a load bearing wall

Sorry this might not be clear, im not the best at explaining myself :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP was over a year ago. It's either been a resounding success or a dismal failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loft water tank - weight of 100 gallon tank - ok? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock