Search the forum,

Discuss Loft work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm yeah! I posted it in one of the 'hated jobs' thread that was so popular on here.

Shame it sucks so much as there is a fair bit of it in our game. It's not just the lofts. Its the itchy insulation. Horrible. Itching from it right now, even after my shower.

They are always to small, to dark, to hot and they make me itch

If they're not boarded they're also like something out of an Indiana Jones movie. Tip toeing about and one wrong step....disaster!!!

HA!! Oh yeah, just rememebered, I was up a loft once, the customer wanted to come up and talk it through with me. I'm up there, and I turn around and hewas standing one leg each side of a joist, on the board. To this day I have no idea how he got away with it. I just said:

"STAND ON A JOIST" and then explained how close he came to ruining his day and love life.

Lucky he was a little bloke I guess.

Last edited:
The only plus point is you won't be bothered by customers in the loft. You can scratch your rse and dither, muse and faff all you like. But in this weather they are unpleasant places to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hate the blown in type insulation on a hot day you come out of the atic looking like a half plucked turkey

Ah, but that stuff doesn't itch. So it's not so bad in my opinion.

True, but I'll take the mess over the itch any day. Just my personal view!

Is it me or does anyone notice the itching is at its most annoying at about 3 a.m

yep and when you try to wash it off it itches more,my old man used to lag atics with it when he was a apprentice no masks back then cant go near it now coughs his guts up,on the plus side though has excellent u values in his lungs

I wont go in loft now without a mask , just 5 mins up there is enough to have me coughing and spluttering without a mask

HAAA! GasMan. I shouldn't laugh, but I did.

My oldman is the same - he coughs his lungs up. Worrying really.

I only donn the mask if I'm going to be pulling the insulation apart.

I personally think it will eventually go the way of asbestos, and be banned. There are plenty of nicer alternatives.

The government knew how dangerous asbestos was and yet they continued to let poor tradesmen work with it for decades.

I only seem to get jobs in lofts on really hot days !

HAAA! GasMan. I shouldn't laugh, but I did.

My oldman is the same - he coughs his lungs up. Worrying really.

I only donn the mask if I'm going to be pulling the insulation apart.

I personally think it will eventually go the way of asbestos, and be banned. There are plenty of nicer alternatives.

The government knew how dangerous asbestos was and yet they continued to let poor tradesmen work with it for decades.

sadly thats very true,my dad worked with asbestos the advice they were given by the firm he worked for? wet it before cutting pathetic, irresponsible morons they knew it was killing people all those years ago

What are you still doing in a loft at 3am you should have been home a long time ago:D:D:D.........regards turnpin

Funny you say that i did get stuck in a loft once at end of the day the sparks i was working with was in go home mode and turned light of and put hatch down . Couldnt see a thing , crawl;ed over gingerly to where hatch was and could i get my fingers in to lift hatch !!! could i hell .Nobody about either to let me out so decide to smash my foot through hatch , phoned up the sparks to say what the hell you playing at and his reply ,,,,,'i thought you'd gone home '!!!

Funny you say that i did get stuck in a loft once at end of the day the sparks i was working with was in go home mode and turned light of and put hatch down . Couldnt see a thing , crawl;ed over gingerly to where hatch was and could i get my fingers in to lift hatch !!! could i hell .Nobody about either to let me out so decide to smash my foot through hatch , phoned up the sparks to say what the hell you playing at and his reply ,,,,,'i thought you'd gone home '!!!

had that to custard forgot to tell me the door leading up to the loft was iffy slammed shut while i was up there shouted for help then heard the mower get turned on great she wont hear me now i thought had to phone a friend for help and as per usual it was roasting up there

A mate of mine was referbing his house before he moved in, boiler, cylinder all put up in the loft. He had just plastered the all the ceilings upstairs and while boarding out the loft he put his foot through the ceiling. After taking some flak from his missus he re boarded and plastered the hole, sorted.

The next day i went around and after showing me the new plaster work and having a laugh about it he asked me to nip up the loft to get something telling me its all boarded dont worrry. I went up and went straight through the same place as he did. He was not very happy.

What I want to know is why chippies/roofers always leave nails protruding in strategic places to get yer

i love em!

quite happy if i had 2 tank installs per day every day to do.

fart as much as i like, no nosey custard, swing the lead, charge well and get to loose weight via sauna in the process.

its one of the final frontiers where the custard dont like going poking their nose in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loft work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We've just bought this house, and looking around the loft there is a large water container (clean) and a much smaller container next to it filled...
Replies
Views
A
After cleaning up of loft big tank, water supply has stopped for taps due to bubble trap. How to release please?
Replies
Views
C
We're having the loft converted at the front of our house, and the plumber has routed the new water and central heating pipes via the rafters in...
Replies
Views
So after having engineer drawings back I'm limited to around 90cm of loft height. I was thinking of a preplumbed horizontal cylinder. But now...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock