Search the forum,

Discuss Looking at vans! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
As you all know my van is dying so I'm looking at what I can afford.

I have been driving an old shaped Peugeot expert which is an ok size could really do with a slightly bigger van but I can work out of that.

I have had a couple of Lwb transit connects come up within my price range and I've done a quick search that says they are roughly the same size as my expert.

Has anyone got one and can give me an idea on if they are the same sort of size.

MWB Renault , the silver one , the dark ones my old one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 58
Nothing that size comes up in my price range. (I am only looking on autotrader at the moment)

All I seem to get come up is Peugeot expert and partners and Citroen same vans (I know the partner is too small)

A couple of transit connects Lwb which of they are roughly the same size as what I have got now I can work out of it and I can get what looks like a better van for my money so I may go and look at them as well.

I've got 5k but can possibly go up to 6k if I find a good van.

Most the vans in my price range are gonna be fairly old or have high mileage or both like a 7 year old dispatch with 92000 miles £4995.00, or 8 year old 55800 miles £4250+vat.

Where as if I go for something like a transit connect a 6 year old van 65000 miles £3995 + vat.

So if I can get all my kit in 1 then it will give me a few more vans to choose from.

I've got 5k but can possibly go up to 6k if I find a good van.

Most the vans in my price range are gonna be fairly old or have high mileage or both like a 7 year old dispatch with 92000 miles £4995.00, or 8 year old 55800 miles £4250+vat.

Where as if I go for something like a transit connect a 6 year old van 65000 miles £3995 + vat.

So if I can get all my kit in 1 then it will give me a few more vans to choose from.

Have a look at Toyota Hiace,s. You can get a 10 plate for 6k. Crap to drive, but bomb proof.

Have a look at Toyota Hiace,s. You can get a 10 plate for 6k. Crap to drive, but bomb proof.

I will second that, far from luxurious but mine never missed a beat. Also they are rear wheel drive so you can have a bit of fun in the wet.

What's wrong with your current van mate?

Something to do with fuel pump and solenoids or something like that. The mechanic said don't bother repairing it as its not worth it. He said a fuel pump is 1k on its own.

By the looks of it my next one will more than likely be French as well!

Got my van and last few cars off eBay... It's only a selling platform, same as buying off autortrader or private seller!!?

Got my van and last few cars off eBay... It's only a selling platform, same as buying off autortrader or private seller!!?

What he said, loads of dealers. It probably gets to a bigger audience, and there's loads of classifieds. Not just auctions.

And stay at home in the snow

I'd rather buy a van that ran reliably and lose maybe two days work every other year. Than have an unreliable garlic munchers van, that spent most of its time in the garage.

The trouble is though the engine in a transit is one and the same as that in say a Citroen relay, the components around it differ but ultimately it's the same.

Then there's the hdi engine arguably the greatest Diesel engine ever made again this was a PSA venture and has had huge success.

I'm with you against the French trust me I have to navigate operation stack from time to time, just saying that not all French engineering is too shabby.

Food for thought last time Britain and France worked together on something we were delivered concord..

**disclaimer, I appreciate that in actual fact Perkins and ***mins get to fight out for the greatest Diesel engine ever made, but you ain't squeezing that in an expert are you.

Fuel pump smashed up and bits gone into injectors? Did he say there was metal filings in the fuel filter?

The trouble is though the engine in a transit is one and the same as that in say a Citroen relay, the components around it differ but ultimately it's the same.

Then there's the hdi engine arguably the greatest Diesel engine ever made again this was a PSA venture and has had huge success.

I'm with you against the French trust me I have to navigate operation stack from time to time, just saying that not all French engineering is too shabby.

Food for thought last time Britain and France worked together on something we were delivered concord..

**disclaimer, I appreciate that in actual fact Perkins and ***mins get to fight out for the greatest Diesel engine ever made, but you ain't squeezing that in an expert are you.

No, you may have a point. But it's the supporting factors, injectors, gearboxes, ecus, steering pumps. Etc,etc,etc, the list goes on. Almost every time your on here and someone's vans broke down, it's usually French.

Fuel pump smashed up and bits gone into injectors? Did he say there was metal filings in the fuel filter?

He didn't do too much it's been on a computer and test driven. He said the problem is that because it is an old engine (it's the 1.9d not a hid) the fuel pump is 1k and if it has caused further damage the price could spiral. So I'm assuming that it is a lot worse otherwise he would of gave me a price to fix it.

It is still running and I hope it carries on for at least 2 days otherwise I'm going to have to hire a can for a couple of days.

when we were looking for vans, i always found that the transit conects were very expensive.

Oh the other thing is he said the gearbox feels funny.

He's right as well as you can move the gear stick from 5th to 1st and it will still be in 5th lol.

Injectors are usually Delphi or Bosch as are most of the bolt on components in all makes and models, pumps, valves, motors etc.

Personally, I've had more issues with VW vans than French, but that's my experience. They all break. I've not long replaced 4 injectors on the connect, and had a few problems on the transit I had before I replaced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking at vans! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am looking into a new Main eco compact / Baxi 618 system boiler set up for PDHW (if its possible) I was hoping to use the EPH controls priority...
Replies
Views
I am not a plumber, but very fluent in residential plumbing. My Daughter has a building in town. There are 2 Woodford wall hydrants. Neither one...
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer...
Replies
Views
Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains...
Replies
Views
We have just moved in to a 1934 Semi- and I am getting round a few simple DIY tasks, including a couple of plumbing-part renewals such as modern...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock