Discuss Lost a job to an illegal Gas fitter. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mackie1983

Just lost a job to an illegal Gas fitter, he's a handyman! Not even a plumber! He's apparently going to get his substandard installation signed off by a GSR Engineer though.

Why would any GSR Engineer go through all that training just to sign off some cowboys work!

He quoted £2000 for a full central heating install.

Rant over.........

Call gas safe and ask for the number of your local chap, keep it to hand wait till you know the job is due to start and call him up explain you have reason to believe someone is working with gas that you believe not to be gsr and ask if he would mind calling in and double checking. You looked at the job so you should be able to gauge at which point into the job he will be interfering with the gas and call your man the day before.

Even if it is signed off accordingly the work was carried out by a non gsr without supervision. I'd let the apprentice have a crack at it under my supervision after all he is there to learn but under no scum stance would I sign anyone's work off I didn't sit my exams and pay my fees to be under cut my people like that..

it's up to us to police the industry as much as gas safe

Report him. Seriously. I haven't ever done it, but these days I would. Too many crap jobs I see with blank Benchmark books, and no one knows who fitted the boiler.

If it is signed off it is not illegal.
The idiot signing it off is taking responsibility.
There are plenty out there who couldn't solder a pipe chasing heating jobs. Some GSR'd firms only hold their registration through subbies.
It is not right but that is the way it is.

No don't forget about it. This goes back to what I was saying earlier.. We need to hold a bit of pride protect our industry

if you let it pass you are part of the problem!

Had you of lost to another gsr then fair game but you haven't and this isn't on! People moan about current rates and this is why!!!

How can anyone say let it go, what if he kills someone maybe not this time or the next but these things can and do happen.
I AM UTTERLY GOB SMACKED that anyone would suggest letting it go. You all moan about membership fees and then not seeing people prosecuted.. WHAT you expect gas safe to just know someone is fitting illegally no they need to be informed.

and if he isn't being supervised whilst doing it he is breaking the law up until the point someone signs it off.

I give up you moan like hell that nothing ever happens, moan that the fees are too much and yet you're not willing to do anything about it. If you feel that strongly that nothing ever happens to them don't bother paying! If you're that confident you'll get away with it, you'll be a few hundred quid better off.

Better still save a few quid and use speed fit for gas after all it's barrier pipe right? In fact why bother with an analyser I mean the flame pitch looks ok.

I mean after all no one will chase you over it, because nobody died right?

Some Gas qualified people are not from a plumbing or even a building trade background, so I wouldn't want them doing any work on any plumbing.
Let's be honest about this, there are people out there, unqualified & qualified in gas & they are a disgrace, but equally, there are plenty unqualified that their workmanship can put Gas engineers work to shame.
I am sure there are a lot of plumbing firms with only one man gas qualified & signing it all off.
It has to be legal surely, as long as the unqualified guy doesn't touch live gas in any way, or service boilers later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lost a job to an illegal Gas fitter. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock