Search the forum,

Discuss Loud humming/vibrating when hot taps on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neildpayton

HI
Am experiencing aloud humming noise through the house when i run hot water. It seems to be getting worse. It carries on humming for a while after the tap is off. If I turn on the cold it momentarily stops the noise.
Is it a major problem? Can I fix it myself etc etc....Any help would be welcome. Many Thanks in anticipation....Neil

HI
Am experiencing aloud humming noise through the house when i run hot water. It seems to be getting worse. It carries on humming for a while after the tap is off. If I turn on the cold it momentarily stops the noise.
Is it a major problem? Can I fix it myself etc etc....Any help would be welcome. Many Thanks in anticipation....Neil

What type of hot water system you got? megaflow, direct/indirect hot water cylinder? Combie boiler?

I have a glowworm combi-boiler (i think) in the kitchen and a hot water tank in bathroom with the cold water tank in the cupboard above it.

Hi. From you post, water hammer is the likley problem. Uncliped pipes, worn taps,ballvalves stopcocks and mains stopcock being fully open can all cause the problem. Further investigation may well highlight one of the points mentioned.

Swap the tap gland matey or grease it ! it is not opening fluidly enough and this is vibrating .

Could be your ballcock valve on your cwsc feeding your hot water tank which is why you hear it when you turn the hot water on and the cwsc is refilling your hot water tank.Then when you run the cold tap it diverts some of the water pressure from your ballcock leaving the noise not as loud. assuming it is not a combi like you said.

Thanks Armo sounds like a good diagnosis. Is it an easy job? Can the ignorant DIY like me do it or best to call in?

Hi. As a DIY person you could try getting a 4" dia plastic flower pot adding a handle to it using string (like a bucket handle) attach it to the ball valve arm (ball end) so as the pot is approx 4" below arm. It acts a a drouge, disallowing the arm to vibrate, which may well be the problem. Good Luck

Hi. As a DIY person you could try getting a 4" dia plastic flower pot adding a handle to it using string (like a bucket handle) attach it to the ball valve arm (ball end) so as the pot is approx 4" below arm. It acts a a drouge, disallowing the arm to vibrate, which may well be the problem. Good Luck

I like it!

I would just send the guy to B and Q to get a part 4

Thanks for all your help guys. I called a plumber yesterday and ( excuse me ) bugger me the thing didnt make a sound when he came. Yesterday morning at 2.30 getting ready for work it was really loud and prolonged. So the plumber who incidentally agreed with the faulty valve diagnosis suggested leaving it for now to see if it starts up again because if he fixes the valve while its not making the noise he wont really know if hes fixed it correctly if it was actually something else....Still with me?
So I,m to call it when and if it starts up again but my question to you guys now is can these things suddenly correct themselves? Ive run loads of hot water today (day off) and not a whimper. Thanks again ... Neil

Hi, The pressure to your property will vary according to local demand on main. As the situation is pressure related you may well find it at is worst during the early hours of the morning. Good Luck

hello mate, Just try this before you call the plumber back , locate your stop tap and turn it half way off, There may of been a massive leak in your area that has recently been fixed causing higher pressure being fed to your house. this is what the noise could be, Turn the stopcock half way and see if it solves the problem. 3 out of 5 times i find this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud humming/vibrating when hot taps on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock