Discuss Magnaclean V Fernox TF1 V Spirovent in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gromit

Hello all,

I've got a Gloworm Ultracom 2 system boiler and want to have a filter fitted. Is anyone able to advise me on their opinion with the Magnaclean, Fernox TF1 and Spirovent?

Plumber says that Magnaclean will only get out magnetic particles. I thought that there was a more high tech version which does this. Anyway any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Dont get the magnaclean as they are prone to leaks and nearly always start leaking when you come to clean them out, the fernox ones are the most awkward ones in my opinion as they have about a million different colured washers to choose from when fitting.

If it where me I would go with the spirotech, its solid brass and can be fit in lot more positions than the previous ones. Also they are a doddle to clean and I have never known one leak.

Thank you sir. I googled the magnaclean and other people have talked about leaks too. The plumber seems really keen on the Fernox for some reason. I just want one which will filter anything - not just magnetic debris and is easy for me to change. As I won't be me fitting I suppose it doesn't bother me how difficult it is to fit but how it performs after installation is important.

The magnacleans do leak, I wouldnt want one in my house. I like the TF1's, I have fitted quite a few now and not had any problems yet. The spirotech ones, whenever I clean them out, I never seem to get much out? Maybe they are on clean systems, but they dont seem to have a very big capacity. The fact they are brass is a plus though.

Thanks for that. What this tells me is not to go for a Magnaclean but one of the others. They seem cheaper too. Funny thing is I had the system power flushed two years ago, had a new boiler a year ago and at the time X400 put in and flushed out. And still the water is black. Hence the need for a magnaclean or something similar.

Id go for a TF1 got one in my own house and all i fit now stopped fitting magnacleans cos of the leaks never used spirotecs to be fair, what i like about the tf1"s is the drain at the bottom makes it nice and easy for adding chemicals to the system

lovely - that's what I'm after - nice and easy. I just want to be able to clean it out easily. Still I don't understand why the water is still black after all the flushing.

Probably not done properly! Worked at a pub a few years ago and the system was supposedly powerflushed before the new boiler was fitted. Rad in ladies was not getting hot so took it off and got 3 buckets of sludge out of the pipes! Some people will connect a flushing machine, run it for half an hour then expect £200

magna's dont leak anymore, changed the o ring and the valves are slightly diffrent, spirotechs dont leak but filter hardly anything at all, i cant believe people are arguing this one tbh! magna all day long, BG changed from magna to spirotech due to adey not lowering there prices enough for BG, they have no moved back to magnas as spirotechs dont filter verywell there capacity is micro compared to magna or tf1

Agree with cdodds, magnacleans appear to have sorted the problem of leaks. The twintech is the only filter that will remove magnetic and non magnetic particles.
TF1's are my favourite but they are the worst to work into a system because of the size and connections.
Spirovents are the best build by far and the smallest but i too have my doubts as to how effective they are.
Sentinel do a similar filter like a mark 1 spirovent. (vertical connection only).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Magnaclean V Fernox TF1 V Spirovent in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Hi The onslaught of plumbing questions continues! Sorry folks... The plumber is coming on Monday and will be draining down to do the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hello All, My gas engineer did a first annual service in August. We've had new rads fitted and its time to add inhibitor and check the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have a older Version Worcester Bosch 35CDi Boiler (probably for about 15+ years). We have never had any protection on it & Bosch...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
    • Love
Hoping to open up a technical discussion regarding best practice with Y-strainers (also spelled wye – strainer) on domestic CH systems. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock