Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Monday brown boxers! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
So Friends,

Went to change a gate valve today.

All went very well. Until......

Turned water on, checked hot taps, no water, shat myself!! Air locked. Turned tap on, put finger over it, still nothing.

Luckily all cold taps were on main pressure so got a bit of hose pipe and stuck it on taps and opened them, all ok!! Phew.

Never done that before but worked a treat.

What other ways are there to get rid of air locks?

The kitchen had a mixer taps so as there was no outside tap how else could I have sorted it out?

Cheers
Rct

Put your hand over the kitchen mixer spout open the hot and then the cold slowly ...regards Turnpin:)

Wetvac on nozzle of tap. Hold flesh of hand around the nozzle to seal it off and get that air out!

if you **** yourself over an airlock, what you going to do when you split a full cyl getting the immersion out ? :)

Coke or 2 litre Bottle top over mixer tap helps prevent the spraying so im told as it fits over the nozzle.I've always got wet myself.

if you **** yourself over an airlock, what you going to do when you split a full cyl getting the immersion out ? :)
Easy LP , rocket is a good member that is willing to get into the trade and he is not 17 years old spotty teenager !!!
Well done for sorting it out Rocket , next time you could also have all taps open when you filling up the cold water storage tank and air usually clears out when it gets filled up at the same time , same principal applies when you filling up traditional ch system ....
keep up the good work if you get stuck call me or Toxic Ted !
My number is on my web site

My first move two. Use dishcloth under hand to stop spraying!
Sometimes helps to close gate valve if it doesn't work straight away or then cap off vent and keep gate valve open- then try keeping some taps open etc if particularly troublesome

Easy LP , rocket is a good member that is willing to get into the trade and he is not 17 years old spotty teenager !!!
Well done for sorting it out Rocket , next time you could also have all taps open when you filling up the cold water storage tank and air usually clears out when it gets filled up at the same time , same principal applies when you filling up traditional ch system ....
keep up the good work if you get stuck call me or Toxic Ted !
My number is on my web site

well the correct answer is to run around sqealing like a pink piglet looking for towels, if you must know :)

well the correct answer is to run around sqealing like a pink piglet looking for towels, if you must know :)

The other option is to stand there with your hand over the split, crying your eyes out and sayin "Oh fk! Oh fk! Oh fk! What am I going to do now?"

or tell the custard "im just gewing to the van.........." and change your phone number :)

Some one must have just split a tank as the a-team are on route?? Thought I was in Bosnia for few seconds!! On the A1 doing 40mph 5 of them. Must have been some leak!!!
6egybu6u.jpg
yhumehet.jpg

I had a particularly difficult airlock to shift once. I tried everything and it just wouldn't work. I eventually got someone to hold a wet vac over the hot tap whilst I checked the tanks and I placed my hand over the vent pipe - that got the water moving!

Sometimes taking the shower head off and lowering the hose can be enough to shift it.

wait until you have a airlock on a old boiler with gravity circs and pull the stat to clear it,now that takes balls in regard to burst cylinders it was the apprentices fault

wait until you have a airlock on a old boiler with gravity circs and pull the stat to clear it,now that takes balls in regard to burst cylinders it was the apprentices fault

last time I did that, the lady of the house ran off outside squealing, followed by her hubbie, it only took a couple of minutes of thumping and banging to clear the blighter :)

I did it on a viessmann hear only as I could not get the air out of the freeking heat exchanger ..... Had the return pipe on and of as there was a tf1 and it cooked it self in 2min , it did sound just like landy engine starting on a cold morning at 5 am :)lol

To become a hugely experienced plumber without succumbing to self-regarding machismo, in that respect at least, seems to be a very rare thing. I don't mean that as a criticism. It makes sense I think. Much like you'd expect a dog-fighting war veteran to be lessened in his feminine side.

If an expert can be defined as someone who has made every possibly mistake in a particular field, then all mistakes are not equal in the suffering they inflict. An expert dress-maker has never fought single-handedly to save a pensioner's house from ruin against splitting rusted metal and gushing filthy water. If I ever get to the level of experience as some here I reserve the right to walk around like I've got a pair.

This beer is good.

To become a hugely experienced plumber without succumbing to self-regarding machismo, in that respect at least, seems to be a very rare thing. I don't mean that as a criticism. It makes sense I think. Much like you'd expect a dog-fighting war veteran to be lessened in his feminine side.

If an expert can be defined as someone who has made every possibly mistake in a particular field, then all mistakes are not equal in the suffering they inflict. An expert dress-maker has never fought single-handedly to save a pensioner's house from ruin against splitting rusted metal and gushing filthy water. If I ever get to the level of experience as some here I reserve the right to walk around like I've got a pair.

This beer is good.

I truly am glad you are back on the forum feller. Your posts always bring a smile to my face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Monday brown boxers! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock