Search the forum,

Discuss Moving hot water cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meady

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I plan on moving my hot water cylinder And boiler up into my loft soon just to create a bit more room and to basically get it all out of the way.

my only Concern is I have this type of joist in the loft and was wondering if anyone knows if they are capable of taking the weight of a 125 litre megaflow, or if anyone knows where to find out how much they can hold, this is my type of joist

Cheers

Ceiling Joists

you need to spread the weight acroos several roof trusses and get the megaflow above a wall or two

personally I wouldnt try, you need to talk to building regs for their opinion. roof trusses are now built to carry a roof and diddly else so any weight in the attic requires additional joists installing, hence the number of botched attic conversions. Ive seen a couple of unvented cyls and boilers in relatively new build properties, where you could see the ceilings bendind under the weight, customers ignored my warnings, so Ive avoided them since!

I'm pretty sure all the walls upstairs are metal stud walls so they won't really help much when it comes to supporting weight but I can put it right next to the edge of the roof where the joists meet the outside wall if that was to help.

I'm pretty sure all the walls upstairs are metal stud walls so they won't really help much when it comes to supporting weight but I can put it right next to the edge of the roof where the joists meet the outside wall if that was to help.

Which way does the roof slope? is it a pitched roof (two) because normally the joist rest on the wall at the lowest point of the pitch and then there would be no height to get the cylinder in.

What about the length of overflow and the regulations regarding the minimum diameter verses the effective length of run? What about extening the cables?

I take it that your not moving the boiler yourself? or are you qualified for gas?

Talk to Building control, oh and if you are moving the unvented yourself I take it that you have the correct certification as well?

this is on top of any question you may have about weight being a problem, just asking thats all.

If the answers to any of these is no then if and when you come to sell your house the estate agent and/or buyers surveyor (or conveyancing lawyer) will be wanting the certificates of compliance and/or self certified competent installer certification.

if you cant provide these then reduction in house price or to get it put right or signed off, and then only if it has actually been installed correctly will you not face further costs.

As Clint would say "do you feel lucky?"

www.iiplumbing-services-derby.co.uk

Why not bang it into the garage - maybe if poss close to kitchen

centralheatking

Which way does the roof slope? is it a pitched roof (two) because normally the joist rest on the wall at the lowest point of the pitch and then there would be no height to get the cylinder in.

What about the length of overflow and the regulations regarding the minimum diameter verses the effective length of run? What about extening the cables?

I take it that your not moving the boiler yourself? or are you qualified for gas?

Talk to Building control, oh and if you are moving the unvented yourself I take it that you have the correct certification as well?

this is on top of any question you may have about weight being a problem, just asking thats all.

If the answers to any of these is no then if and when you come to sell your house the estate agent and/or buyers surveyor (or conveyancing lawyer) will be wanting the certificates of compliance and/or self certified competent installer certification.

if you cant provide these then reduction in house price or to get it put right or signed off, and then only if it has actually been installed correctly will you not face further costs.

As Clint would say "do you feel lucky?"

yeh I have my unvented and I'm gas safe registered, there is plenty if head room up there as I can stand up there with room to spare. (I'm 6ft tall)

i have a soil pipe going up to my loft right next to where I would be putting it so that's the overflow sorted, and 3 of my mates are all qualified sparks so the cables are no issue.

Brace up the joists by adding noggins and stretchers to help spread the weight, get advice from building control

So thats cool (I feel embarrased = teach suck eggs etc) soz

However back to your original question about weight

I looked this up http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrp/fplrp471.pdf and yes I know its American and in imperial!!

The issue of weight is all about bending moments, point loads and ideally spreading the load

This may help How to Calculate Load Bearing Beams | eHow.com

Personally beefing up your existing trusses (bottom chord or beam) with timbers 2" wider than existing for three trusses and then overboard with 18mm ply or P5 grade chipboard should be enough to increase the strength and spread the load for your 125kg + tank load

But to just make sure ask BC to approve

BTW I converted my loft and had to put in two 500 litre sprinkler tanks in the eves spaces, these were supported of off the new 250 deep RSJ and the internal leaf of the brick wall but the secondard timbers were 6" deep and there were 4 for each tank with 18mm overboard.

Brace the joists, spread the load, fit timbers to add support. I can't see it being a problem if built correctly.

Build the structure to support it and have a group meeting with the lads up there to test it.
if you come through the ceiling lesson learnt and back to the drawing board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving hot water cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock