Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Narrow Escape - No major flood in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

easyt

I finished my bathroom - Now Shower room upgrade and toilet replacement over 6 months ago.

My next job was to replace the two header tanks and F&E tank in the loft. All galvanised tanks and 45 years old. As I am suffering with arthritis I thought 'to hell with it - get a man in. Arranged for a recommended plumber to call.

Shortly afterwards OH shouts to tell me water is peeing out of the toilet and 1/4 inch water on floor in toilet and hall carpet wet nearby. Water isn't dripping but shooting out.

We have been away 5 weeks of that 6 months so what a good time for this to occur. As my arthritis and recent frozen shoulder makes access difficult I thought 'leave it till the plumber calls tomorrow. Just turn off the isolator and use a bucket'.

I don't see how I could have overtightened the fitting. The attached valve in the cistern is not overtight and would have moved before the connection was tightened hard. The washer had split though.

The plumber and I looked at the work in the loft and then I mentioned the problem. Fixed in 15mins. Gave him £10 for his trouble although he did not ask for payment. I hope his quote for the other work is OK as seemed a nice guy.

As you say good job it did not happen when you was away,poor materials,I have had a few compression backing nuts split recently,sends you a bit paranoid

Pleased you have found what looks like a plumber you are happy with easyt

You wouldn't expect compression back nuts to split. Worrying. What surprised me was that the fibre washer had sat there (apparently happily) for over 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Narrow Escape - No major flood in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock