Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)
  • Thread starter Andrew Hansell
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 2K

Discuss near completion of tech cert 6129 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew Hansell

I am currently studying towards my c and g 6129 tech cert and was wondering if rather than asking for a plumbing apprenticeship straight away would it be a good idea to get experience on site as a plumbers mate on a site with a construction agency then going private to get nvq.Does anyone think this would work or would it just be a dead end labouring route.I am 34 and really disgruntled with the government approach to just funding 16 -19 year olds when all they want to do is mess about.

I am currently studying towards my c and g 6129 tech cert and was wondering if rather than asking for a plumbing apprenticeship straight away would it be a good idea to get experience on site as a plumbers mate on a site with a construction agency then going private to get nvq.Does anyone think this would work or would it just be a dead end labouring route.I am 34 and really disgruntled with the government approach to just funding 16 -19 year olds when all they want to do is mess about.

government does fund 19+ just not as much as 16-19

do you have cscs/ jib-pmes card, need this to work on building sites.

my opinion is you really need to get out there and speak to plumbers, try pubs where plumbers go quite often, road side cafes, outside plumbing centres, send letters i.e.

bit undecided wether its best to offer yourself as plumbers mate or apprenticeship job. would make a difference if people asked me for a plumbers mate job for once rather then always asking for an apprenticeship.

on site experience is very scarse at the moment but if you can get on site experience with construction agency then go for it, better to be doing something then nothing, they should be able to get you through the nvq2 and may even have gas engineers who you can shadow to get nvq3. always worth a go. keep your options open though.

no gonna get cscs sorted free when i get to end of tech cert.gonna try everything i can to get experience also been offered half price nvq by tutor privatly when i finish tech cert

no gonna get cscs sorted free when i get to end of tech cert.gonna try everything i can to get experience also been offered half price nvq by tutor privatly when i finish tech cert

my friend got offered same thing and the tutor got him to do his bathroom and then said "work has dried up sorry"
only paid him tools too.
are you in aylesbury?

seems a bit fishy to me "half price privately?" colleges and training centres set their prices, he can not offer you the course as he is not city and guilds registered. please explain more.

if it works out then good luck to you but just be careful.

Unless he is saying half is funded by the goverment in which case he is right.

no im in manchester ,he said when we had found two bathrooms he would come and assess us and pass us off a qualified i thought it might sound too good to be true.This is why i was thinking of going as a plumbers mate on site.Also being told by the assessors at the college that there is no funding at all off the government for over 19's so again is this not true and how do i find more info about this?

I would reccomend plumbers mate any day, but like I said keep options open

be very carefull, just try to get a job as a labourer for a plumber and take it from there

by phoning round a few agencys ive found out that they are getting a few plumbers mates jobs coming in but havnt had chance to get cscs card sorted yet.Still have a few weeks to go with tech cert yet so gnna have to wait.FUZZY have you heard of bromak and are they any good to work for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to near completion of tech cert 6129 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock