Search the forum,

Discuss Need Help on Shower Drain in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe roughed based on the drain location, but I did not know that the drain is extruded beyond the bottom of the base. I have been using screwdrivers with a rubber hammer to knock some of the concrete around the pipe to have some clearance. The drain had a rubber gasket with a locker and the plastic drain part has a lip which keep the rubber in place. So I am thinking 3 ways to install the drain and I am more inclined to the 1st method. Any comments or advice on this is appreciated.

1. Cut the bottom of the drain as the red line shows in the picture. Let the bottom of the concrete as retaining the bottom of the rubber gasket. Install as the instruction. The instructions did ask to have 1/2 inch from the bottom of the drain to the surface. But I am thinking do not let the plastic drain has contact to the concrete so there is some buffer for the drain to move on the pvc pipe up and down. It won’t be 1/2 inch. Will most likely 1/4 inch. Should I concern any leaking issues if I do it this way?

2. Cut a piece of plywood exact shape like the shower base which is about 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick, so it gives me some clearance for the drain installation. I will need to use a caulk tape to seal between the base and the floor. But should I concern the board could be unstable as the glass sliding door will be installed later on the base.

3. Continue to chisel the concrete around the drain pipe until it has enough clearance to fit the drain. If I do that, do I need to chisel further to have the 1/2 inch clearance? It could take me days to do this but I can do it if needed.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2298.jpeg
    IMG_2298.jpeg
    731.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2295.jpeg
    IMG_2295.jpeg
    709.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2296.jpeg
    IMG_2296.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2291.jpeg
    IMG_2291.jpeg
    826.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2292.jpeg
    IMG_2292.jpeg
    799.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2294.jpeg
    IMG_2294.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2289.jpeg
    IMG_2289.jpeg
    678.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2293.jpeg
    IMG_2293.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2290.jpeg
    IMG_2290.jpeg
    740.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2280.jpeg
    IMG_2280.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2284.jpeg
    IMG_2284.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 11
Bed the tray down on concrete mix should lift it up a smidge so it will go together without any cutting ?

thanks, how thick would the concrete need to be? The concrete will be just covered the base area, right?

Correct just the tray area normally just a slurry but you can go slightly thicker to help for the waste etc

Correct just the tray area normally just a slurry but you can go slightly thicker to help for the waste etc
Thanks. Would it be okay to pour the concrete on vinyl flooring or just on the bare concrete as I currently have? This room will have vinyl plank flooring. Not sure if put it on vinyl floor will be easier to do maintenance if I have any issues with the shower down the road? Really appreciate the insight.

On the concrete floor only

Have you got any photos to share of your finished project?

Reply to Need Help on Shower Drain in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock