Search the forum,

Discuss new installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
risking my home? he is a gas safe approved or am i missing something here

doesnt say the standard will be high tbh anyone these days can get gas safe 6 week course and 4-6K and your gas safe

True completely agreed however The price is just not realistic for a qualified engineer running his own business. Something does not add up mate. I am just thinking about you

If I were you I would get 2 or three more quotes

i really do appreciate all the replies dont get me wrong, last thing im wanting is not wakening up 1 day (not funny) and a sys thats not going to come back and bite when/if it does breakdown because of sludge, his reviews are going back to 2009 and been doing this for over 14 years inc doing landlords certs, fully insured for £1mill,
ive had 4-5 prices but all been with them supply the unit, so i am just paying for labour only

i really do appreciate all the replies dont get me wrong, last thing im wanting is not wakening up 1 day (not funny) and a sys thats not going to come back and bite when/if it does breakdown because of sludge, his reviews are going back to 2009 and been doing this for over 14 years inc doing landlords certs, fully insured for £1mill,
ive had 4-5 prices but all been with them supply the unit, so i am just paying for labour only

how much have they been for ( the other prices)

im getting this all in at about 2100issh, closest i got was from an approved wb installer 2500 , no new rads and using wb controls, im using wireless plumbing centre thermosat programmer(£52), i agree it is cheap the fitting im more worried about the flush that might be not getting done, which he said it will be

im getting this all in at about 2100issh, closest i got was from an approved wb installer 2500 , no new rads and using wb controls, im using wireless plumbing centre thermosat programmer(£52), i agree it is cheap the fitting im more worried about the flush that might be not getting done, which he said it will be

i can garatee you wont be having a proper power flush done, will be a system flush either using chems on there own or via somthing like the adey mangaclense but if your changing all the rads this isnt really needed

you can do some prep work if you want (by flushing the rads out first using cold mains water) and adding some cleaner to the system and run for a week or two

Last edited:
He's told you he's doing a hot & cold flush.

That is an approved method of flushing according to BS7593:2006, but it is not a powerflush. Hot and cold flush is getting the system hot (after the new boiler is fitted, normally), then draining it down, then running mains water through it. The thinking being that hot water dissolves flux and other residues, then mains pressure / flow rate gets rid of any sediment.

Powerflushing is a very different beast, takes a lot longer and is much more thorough.

thanks for that info shaun, can you all confirm that the powerflush wont really be req if new rads are going to be installed, i would rather pay a bit more and get it done than bite me in years to come
also bg fitted a spirotech mb3 about a year ago to my sys which will also be added to the new sys , as for draning the sys well im the world worst for diy thats why i leave it for you guys, i could stick some f3 in that tank but watching it on youtube is not my idea of fun

so a sys flush ok with new rads??? my current sys is really banging away and has been for a few years so unsure if the pipes are bunged up or its the boiler and 1 rad is dead to the world

If you don't get a proper flush. By the sound of it your new boiler is gonna be blocked quickly

i wont be paying him anything until the job has been completed, ive done loads and loads of research watching powerflushes reviewing everything online, went over and over done my homework for sure so i know what the powerflush looks like, i think i need a baileys now
and here is qualifications
GAS SAFETY REGISTER ******

NIC CERTIFICATION ( UN-VENTED HOT WATER STORAGE SYSTEMS)

CITB

CPA1 (Combustion Performance Analysis) 31/03/14
CCN1 (Domestic Natural Gas Safety) 30/03/14
HTR1 (Gas Fires and Heaters) 30/03/14
CEN1 (Central Heating Boilers 70KW) 31/03/14
CKR1 (Gas Cookers) 30/11/10

Where did you get that list? Gas Safe's website does not list dates. The ID card does, but shows the annual renewal date. If that's from his card, he's shown you an old card. Is his registration still valid?

thanks for that info shaun, can you all confirm that the powerflush wont really be req if new rads are going to be installed, i would rather pay a bit more and get it done than bite me in years to come
also bg fitted a spirotech mb3 about a year ago to my sys which will also be added to the new sys , as for draning the sys well im the world worst for diy thats why i leave it for you guys, i could stick some f3 in that tank but watching it on youtube is not my idea of fun

so a sys flush ok with new rads??? my current sys is really banging away and has been for a few years so unsure if the pipes are bunged up or its the boiler and 1 rad is dead to the world

sorry to say i cant say without seeing the system / water quality

but are all your rads heating up (top to bottom same temp etc)

Indeed mate indeed. Sorry I know it's off topic. Where in the country is your new venture starting??

ive got his dates from the mybuilder site he is on which he can put in himself i think, but the gas safe is confirmed on there site

only 1 rad is cold (1st rad on the sys i think), im going to call him on tues to inform him that i am wanting a proper powerflush and not just some hot and cold
and from co durham , our water looks clean but its cold this time of year lol

Last edited:
The point being those dates are not valid. Does he have all the current skills you require

you could ask him for some phone numbers of his past works (work hes done for clients) and ring them up and ask them etc

Well for example registration lasts 5 years. His cookers are out of date, why leave it on the internet. Makes you wonder what else might be afoot

Sorry buddy. It may be legit but I HATE seeing people get scammed

Sorry buddy. It may be legit but I HATE seeing people get scammed

riley i really do appreciate the help & advice here its gold dust and you guys taking time out from work espesh on xmas day, ive now got all the equipment in the house waiting to be installed, i already sent 1 cowboy running, this is a minefield and wanting the sys to last for years to come

Another thought. Where are you mate??

[DLMURL]http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/[/DLMURL]

What happened?

i know you cant judge a book by its cover but 2 guys came (self employed), and just looked at them and said to myself NOWAY, anyway came in and started asking me about how big the gas pipe was where the route is i said ive no idea then saying the gas pipe needs to be re routed outside the house on the wall (yuck) then telling me a hosepipe flush is good as anything then all work to be done in 1 day (without new rads) to keep the price down they said a idealboiler would keep it cheap, just everything about them they were wanting my cash and away they go in the night, then txt me 3 times asking if they could have the job (deleted there number)
anyway u guys have put doubts in my head with the guy ive hired, but for sure its going to get a powerflush and not just hot&cold thats for sure

You as the customer have all sorts of rights to cancel the work. No genuine engineer will mind you querying their credentials

Not for £400 though! I'm not sure how he can install thee boiler and supply pipe, fittings, fixings, sand and cement core drill etc etc etc for that amount

and started asking me about how big the gas pipe was where the route is i said ive no idea then saying the gas pipe needs to be re routed outside the house

Sensible, conscientious, professional questions. You're having a high powered boiler, you need to ensure the gas supply pipework is sufficiently sized. It's much less disruptive to run a pipe outside than it is to disturb floors and / or chase walls for a new pipe run. I'd fit an Ideal Vogue over a Worcester any day. I think your snap judgement may have been a touch hasty... :)

You get the UKPF mickey taking guarantee though :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock