Discuss New radiator staying cool at the bottom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dougie212

I've just fitted a new radiator with Drayton TRV and lockshield. I understand that the valves are bi flow and so for ease of access the TRV is on the right of the radiator. The radiator is heating up but is staying cool at the bottom and I have lifted the floorboard at the trv end and that is also cool too. I have isolated that radiator and it does eventually warm through but doesn't heat up as normal, the bottom and right hand corner almost just conducts the heat rather than gets hot if that's makes sense. I've tested the pin in the trv and it will push down a little and springs back up. I was going to try and put some central heating cleaner through and see if that helped, and either move the sludge or release a possible airlock but I'm a bit baffled. Would the easiest thing be to take the rad off and make sure the trv is opening? My boiler is a combi boiler, and prior to the new rad and new valves going on the old smaller radiator heated up fine. All other radiators heat up lovely, I just have a feeling nothing is passing out of the trv side of my new radiator.I'm stumped... thanks in advance.

is it a bi-directional trv? can you see any arrows on it at all? do you know the model number of it?

Sounds like an airlock,just double check both rad valves are open, check system pressure at boiler,if ok you could turn off the other rads and see if that cures it

Sounds like an airlock,just double check both rad valves are open, check system pressure at boiler,if ok you could turn off the other rads and see if that cures it

So how do you come to that conclusion?

So how do you come to that conclusion?

Err... rad not getting hot, all others seem ok, bi-directional TRV, luke warm pipes to valves.
I thought it was always best to try the easiest things first.
I could be wrong though

Err... rad not getting hot, all others seem ok, bi-directional TRV, luke warm pipes to valves.
I thought it was always best to try the easiest things first.
I could be wrong though

You see the bit where it says cold at the bottom. ....

How long did you say you were out of the game?

I'm not having a dig mate, I'm honestly using this as a gentle reminder that it's important to read the whole question before committing an answer. Learning to learn again is probably the hardest part of the ACS. Especially for us older boys.....

Actually. ..... now I've had a think on it. .......

Carry on Froggy old son. I've not had a lot of sleep this last month. I'm finding just lately it's wood and trees.......

Fair point, but he is asking should the easiest thing to do would be to take the Rad off?
My opinion would be to close the other Rads down to see if that sorts it before doing anything more drastic.
Makes sense to me

Fair point, but he is asking should the easiest thing to do would be to take the Rad off?
My opinion would be to close the other Rads down to see if that sorts it before doing anything more drastic.
Makes sense to me

Always worth a punt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New radiator staying cool at the bottom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock