Currently reading:
New system, rads not heating up

Discuss New system, rads not heating up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim.allwood

Hi all. This is my first post, so be gentle if I don't follow code.

My uncle has just had a new central heating system fitted in his new barn conversions. He's had a mistral 35kw oil combi fitted. Problem is that the rads take for ever to heat up. And the boiler keeps going off as it reaches its maximum temp. I asked what the plumber had done with the pipework and it looks like he reduced the 22mm feed down to 15mm, teed it and then taken 2 x 10mm pipes off the feed to supply all 13 rads.

To me that's an obvious bottleneck and the boiler just can push the water around the system fast enough.

Am I correct to assume this?

Thanks

10mm pipe is sufficient to run 1 radiator, i would double check this first but if he has then you need to get him back asap mate

Hi, thanks for your reply. This is as I thought. I'll see what can be done. Problem is now, the pipes are all behind a finished and decorated drywall so changing the infrastructure is going to be no simple task. Thanks again.

This is definate installation fault so i would be looking at the fitter to be charged for any remedial work! has the install been paid for in full?

get the fitter back - rule of thumb 10mm can handle 10000 btus - so could in theory do 3 small rads at a push - not best practise, and i would not think about running 2 rads from one ten mm run - but from what it sounds like he has run 13 rads from one ten mm run???? thats just ridiculous!!!!! get him back or report him to trading standards as he obviously has no clue what hes doing.

This has got to be a joke ! He hasnt really run 13 rads from 10mm ? Are you sure you are looking at the correct pipework ?
Is all his other work Ok
Can you post some pictures

Hi all. This is my first post, so be gentle if I don't follow code.

My uncle has just had a new central heating system fitted in his new barn conversions. He's had a mistral 35kw oil combi fitted. Problem is that the rads take for ever to heat up. And the boiler keeps going off as it reaches its maximum temp. I asked what the plumber had done with the pipework and it looks like he reduced the 22mm feed down to 15mm, teed it and then taken 2 x 10mm pipes off the feed to supply all 13 rads.

To me that's an obvious bottleneck and the boiler just can push the water around the system fast enough.

Am I correct to assume this?

Thanks

So the fact he has tee'd it after reducing to 15mm means he is feeding 6 rads on one side and 7 on the other. I don't believe this either are you absolutely sure. Check the fitter on both the Gas Safe and OFTEC (for Oil) registers. If he is on neither then I suspect there is some kind of problem here and alarm bell ought to ring. If that is the case you better get a registered guy out to check the boiler as that could be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New system, rads not heating up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock