Discuss Newbie with Baxi Solo 2 problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

onyourbike

Hi all, first post.
Found your site while searching for info about my Baxi.
My Baxi Solo 2 makes a rather loud noise after it's been on for a couple of hours, the noise is like blowing across the top of a bottle, it gets loader the longer it's on. It takes about 15 seconds after the boiler ignites then the howling starts. The noise seems to come from the pipes as if it's the water. I did notice that allot of the heat exchanger fins have broken up where the flames touch.
Is this some sort of hot spots or air traps causing the water to boil, any advice or thoughts would be great.
Cheers Mike

I am by no means an expert but i rekon you need a new heat exchanger as you have splits/holes in it..

Hi peteisfishing, when you say "splits/holes" do you mean internal to the heat exchanger or to the outside as there's no visible leaks.
Feel happier now someone else thinks it's the h.exchanger, maybe wait until the warmer weather to replace.
Cheers Mike

Before you go down that route (new h/exc) I would check a few other things out first, try adjusting the pump speed and see if that make any difference, lots of other things it could be.
cheers Martin

Since this problem started last winter, I've changed the pump speed, re-balanced the radiators, flushed the system, added additives, replaced the boiler fan, pump and diverter valve (replaced for other reasons). I thought the problem had gone away over the summer. Maybe it's time to call someone in but I like to sort these things out myself.

"expensive way of doing things " Pump was leaking, diverter valve had stuck over the summer, boiler fan was noisy in it's own right. Installed this sytem about 8 years ago and now have had to change a few parts, not cost allot really :).

my point was you have a fault
you dont know what it is
you have changed a load of parts
and are no nearer to curing the fault

Funny that's not how I see it, I've haven't changed any parts re: this fault and I suspect the heat exchanger.

may i ask how you flushed the system?
many people say they have flushed a system but often not correctly thats why i ask.

I have seen a number of Baxi Solo boilers where the heat exchanger fins have broken up, although this might affect the efficiency of the boiler I don’t think I have ever seen one that has suffered any noise as a result. Your problem sound to be internal, possibly sediment in the heat exchanger. I would suggest you let a qualified engineer take a look and check that the burner pressure is OK, also have them check the boiler over as I have come across appliances that make a noise like blowing across the top of a milk bottle which has been caused by distorted burners or wrongly fitted burners, is your burner pushed fully back so it lines up with the injector? A replacement H/Exc is probably going to cost a fair bit, your boiler has a D or E efficiency rating and the new H/Exc may not cure your problem. I would think seriously about putting the money towards a new boiler, you may even qualify under the scrappage scheme.
Good luck Martin.
By the way, your burner flame should not touch the heat exchanger, that would be flame inpingement, the damage has been caused by heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great stuff thanks.
Re: flushing the system I followed the instructions on the container.
Used tradesave TSSM-3 System Cleaner, reading the instructions now it does say for new systems. Drained the system enough to get the cleaner in then ran hot for an hour, drained until clear water. Used the boiler drain hoping the would remove any debris. I did this at the backend of last winter and thought it had cured my problem.

a simple pour in cleaner will not de sludge a system powerflushing up to 8 hours is the best method

I have a baxi solo 2 and today it has started making a very loud squeaking noise from inside the boiler - initially thought was maybe the pump but it is running fine - any ideas unit was last serviced 6 months ago when I also had t up in a new control circuit board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie with Baxi Solo 2 problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back