Discuss Newbie! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blockage

Hi all,

Joined the site a couple of weeks ago when i was researching a change of career after being made redundant! I've always been interested in this trade as a very good mate of mine retrained at 30 (same age as me now). I've been out on jobs with him getting stuck in and learing all the time and am fully aware of the less glamorous side! I've signed up to The Plumbing Academy in Edenbridge due to the good recomendations they get (and girlfriends mate is the receptionist!). Really looking forward to learning and start the course Monday.

Lets just hope i can cut through the gloom and doom of this economy once i've finished and build myself a good business of this!

Rob

hi there,
be interested to know what you thought about the course?

thanks

In ref to what Blockage wrote, i'm looking to do the same in 2010 around April if i can.

I'm new to the forum as well and would be interested in knowing how you get on.How long is the course and how much was it if i may ask?

Good luck

Sorry for not updating this sooner but i'll now tell you where i'm at!

Started my course at The Plumbing Academy in August, and from the off i was really good - class of 10 (6 full timers and 4 part timers) which created a great atmosphere, couldn't have wish for a better group. We had a great tutor Mick, cannot express how easy he was to understand (imo the best tutor there). The support staff were so helpful and very good at explaining things (especially Pete, who also was great at putting tasks into real life context!). Had good facilities - not great but good, and with the wealth of knowledge on hand i passed the City and Guilds with no problems (even if i was ******* myself at having a new exam every week! Even passed a few with 100% so happy enough!

And for the Present... I was fortunate to be able to start working with my mate as his apprentice from October, and have been learning every day since, we are very busy with alot of his customers and us gaining contracts from my contacts too, so life is looking up!

The course is great for gaining a qualification, but since being out in the real world, it really opened my eyes, it's totally different and theres a hell of a lot to learn once you get out there!!

Right now for the not so good bits...

Please note none of the following reflects on the support staff or training staff who are top of there game! this is just info for those who want an honest opinion of the centre.

Don't listen to the sales guys! the groups have now risen to 12/14 in a group and in my opinion they just don't have enough room for groups that size! we had the group behind us getting in the way of our tasks and to be honest it got annoying having no space to work!!

I only did the City& Guilds Level 2 - now DO NOT be under the impression this gives you NVQ2 as part of the package. It doesn't as we all found out! that's another £2K (rip off as a local college will be cheaper for the assesors to come out and visit you on site - been quoted £500 myself)

Do not sign up for Level Three if you think you'll get your Gas Safe - you won't! they tell you that you need to have level three for gas, which isn't true (it's another course). Level three is mainly class based and covers stuff like quoting and designing systems (you can learn that out on site)

As two guys on my course and one from the group below found out, if you try and pull out of part 3 you are in for one hell of an awkward time. The owner will persue you for the money and generally play dirty in order to get your money - hold onto city and guilds folders, not allow you to sit exams etc.
(deleted content)
My words of advice are - do not buy a package untill you get clear, written info on what you will end up with!

I think that may make me come across as slightly reluctant to recomend the centre. I'm not - just after being in such a great group of guys, with a great tutor, my experiance of the sales/owner have left a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth! you guys have been warned!

Last edited by a moderator:
The above feedback is the opinion of the poster only and it is corroborated by ukplumbers forums....All feedback is simply the opinion of the poster.

thanks Admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock