Search the forum,

Discuss no hot water, central heating works fine in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, please apologies if this is not posted in the right section, or an answer exists already somewhere.

I have this issue: no hot water in any tap in the house, but the central heating works fine. The boiler is a Vaillant system 15.
A gas engineer had a diagnosis and said the boiler is okay and that it's could be a diverter valve issue. Or a thermostat.
We've been having no hot water for a week now and the engineer cannot come to fix it before end of next week.
  • does the cause of the problem sound ok to you?
  • is it really not possible for an engineer to come and repair faster than this? I understand he may be streched, but don't they allow spots for emergency appointments and repairs?

Thanks all for your time.

The chances are you have a problem somewhere between the programmer and the motorised valve, so yes the engineers choice of words are correct.
Depending on the type of work that engineer does its entirely possible they don't have the parts as van stock and would need to source them. That being said all the parts this fault could be are readily available at the local merchants.
A week without hot water is unacceptable though, have you not even used the immersion heater?
I would try and find someone else.

The chances are you have a problem somewhere between the programmer and the motorised valve, so yes the engineers choice of words are correct.
Depending on the type of work that engineer does its entirely possible they don't have the parts as van stock and would need to source them. That being said all the parts this fault could be are readily available at the local merchants.
A week without hot water is unacceptable though, have you not even used the immersion heater?
I would try and find someone else.
sorry that sounds gibberish to me: what is the immersion heater?
Sorry I'm very bad at plumbing, and my English is not better

You should have an immersion heater as back up for hot water in the event of a boiler fault. Take a picture of your cylinder please and if you do have an immersion heater one of us can point it out to you and tell you which switch to turn on.

You should have an immersion heater as back up for hot water in the event of a boiler fault. Take a picture of your cylinder please and if you do have an immersion heater one of us can point it out to you and tell you which switch to turn on.
Is that this?

Attachments

• DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 13
This is the immersion heater and you can see there is no cable going to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211009-220829_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211009-220829_Samsung Internet.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 4
The white box above is is the cylinder thermostat to control the boiler and could be part of the problem. You need to find an engineer who is G3 registered as mentioned above because if the fault lies at the cylinder then they would need that qualification.
As to why the installer didn't wire up the immersion heater is anyone's guess but it should have been done.
I can't stress this enough, you have been without hot water for a week, you need to find someone which the right credentials and who's going to treat this as an urgent call out. It is completely unacceptable to leave someone without hot water for this long.

The white box above is is the cylinder thermostat to control the boiler and could be part of the problem. You need to find an engineer who is G3 registered as mentioned above because if the fault lies at the cylinder then they would need that qualification.
As to why the installer didn't wire up the immersion heater is anyone's guess but it should have been done.
I can't stress this enough, you have been without hot water for a week, you need to find someone which the right credentials and who's going to treat this as an urgent call out. It is completely unacceptable to leave someone without hot water for this long.
Hi SJB060685,
Manu thanks for your kind answer. This really educates me. (I still need to do some homework too to learn more!)
This is a new built home, I'll contact the developer to see if there is something they can do (we unfortunately passed their 2-year warranty). We'll see.
Regarding the registered engineer, I'll try to find someone else (I guess I don't go to the right websites). I however booked my guy for next Friday, is that bad if I cancel him if I find someone else?

If you politely explain to the guy you have already booked for next Friday that by then you would have been without hot water for around two weeks and is it possible if they could attend sooner. If they say no then inform them you will see if you can get someone sooner. He/she may not like this but as I said before it is completely unacceptable to be left without hot water for that long. I can tell you now that if you were a customer of mine, under the circumstances you would have been treated as an urgent call.
You can go on the Gas Safe website and search for technicians in your area that hold both gas and G3 qualifications.

I however booked my guy for next Friday, is that bad if I cancel him if I find someone else?
No, if he’s not G3 registered he’ll understand and be grateful you haven’t wasted his time, and you could avoid an unnecessary Callout charge. Just because he’s gas safe registered, doesn’t mean he’s G3 registered.

If you politely explain to the guy you have already booked for next Friday that by then you would have been without hot water for around two weeks and is it possible if they could attend sooner. If they say no then inform them you will see if you can get someone sooner. He/she may not like this but as I said before it is completely unacceptable to be left without hot water for that long. I can tell you now that if you were a customer of mine, under the circumstances you would have been treated as an urgent call.
You can go on the Gas Safe website and search for technicians in your area that hold both gas and G3 qualifications.
Many thanks, will do. Awkward conversation in perspective...He was not shy to come for the diagnosis the same late evening and charge me 70£ and no clear cut diagnosis. Anyway....it's done it's done.
I've been to my local gym club to shower, I'm fortunate to still be a member, I actually wanted to cancel haha.

You've been super helpful.

Hi, just wanted to give an update. I called another gas engineer who initially did a temporary fix to give us hot water, and 2 days later came to replace a diverter valve. Thanks for the forum's help.

Now another question: there is one shower in my home which is always a bit weird: sometimes, (even after the above problem was sorted) there is no hot water when I have a shower. So what I do is: I open the tap in the sink just beside it, and that seems to force the hot water to come from the shower. Looks like the other bathroom/shower is fine. Is it a shower problem?

I would say so

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, please apologies if this is not posted in the right section, or an answer exists already somewhere.

I have this issue: no hot water in any tap in the house, but the central heating works fine. The boiler is a Vaillant system 15.
A gas engineer had a diagnosis and said the boiler is okay and that it's could be a diverter valve issue. Or a thermostat.
We've been having no hot water for a week now and the engineer cannot come to fix it before end of next week.
  • does the cause of the problem sound ok to you?
  • is it really not possible for an engineer to come and repair faster than this? I understand he may be streched, but don't they allow spots for emergency appointments and repairs?

Thanks all for your time.
Do you have an unvented cylinder? Temperature setting? Has the overheat acted?....reset. Is the Valve opening?

Reply to no hot water, central heating works fine in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock