Discuss No hot water on old floor standing boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchy01

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. I have an old floor standing o/f boiler which isn't giving hot water. I'm wanting to go back to basics on this one as I've tried the 'normal things'!

pumped heating, Gravity dhw. There is a room stat for heating but no stat for hw both are controlled by very old programmer. When I put dhw water only on and switch it to constant I get a hot flow pipe to cylinder but nothing coming out.

i don't think its air in the coil as there is a lovely upward run but to the vent pipe. I've cracked the nut on the flow at cylinder and just got water. Tried bleeding towel rad on circuit, nuts water. Tried pulling through with a hose on the return at the boiler and had my wet vac on the vent sucking any air back.

suggestions would be awesome as I'm beginning to scratch my head and don't really want to take the cylinder out to check for blockages as I believe God put it in in his younger days!!!!

Is there a thermo valve on the gravity might have scaled up. Did it work before? Any work done on system before issues?

Cracking the nut open on the flow at cylinder & getting water proves nothing - even the coil blocked you will get water from the flow pipe & vice versa.
Make sure the flow & return to the cylinder have constant rise & fall. Check the f&e tank is filling into system if you drain a little water from somewhere. If all those check out, then there is a blockage at coil or pipes. Did you try a strong magnet on the pipes to see if any magnetite?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. It was in fact a slight blockage in the coil. I managed to suck it out and give it a bit a blast through. Nothing major but they are replacing the system in the new year so didn't want to spend too much now.

Old school system, we used to remove boiler stat and boil out air locks, scary mind if you've never done it, buts that's one for us older plumbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No hot water on old floor standing boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock