Search the forum,

Discuss No hot water on what I believe to be a gravity system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kyle

Hi all, as you can tell im new to this, bear with me,,,

Ok, I have no hot water.
The radiators are piping hot.
I have a room stat but no cylinder stat.
The boiler is a back boiler with 28 mm pipework going to cylinder.
I can see the pump, it works and I believe this is for the radiators.
I cant see any type of valve but there is a section that is boarded off leading from boiler in front room up wall under floor behind more boxed off section to cylinder.
When I ask for hot water I get nothing.
When I ask for hot water both pipes to/from the cylinder remain cold but the 28mm near the boiler are hot and other slightly less hot. Pipes to the pump is red hot.

What do you think, like i said im new, thx to anyone that can help...

do you have rads upstairs? , you defo have a gravity hot water system with pumped heating , and it sounds like the header tank is empty or cold feed blocked ,

Maybe the diverter valve is broke, is there a mid position valve that is stuck?

Thx for advice, I cant remember if there were rads upstairs, it isnt my boiler.
I too was thinking ball valve stuck, block in cold feed,possibly the gate valve stuck etc but it seems open, i was gonna loosen flow pipe into cylinder to see whats there,air or water.....
Thx, keep info coming in, very usefull.....

I cant see any valves at all anywhere, unless theyr hidden?, i dont think so though

What do you lot think of the threads that advise removing the phial for a short time to boil away the air lock?, sounds very risky to me,,,,,

I dont see any valve anywhere , would it have a valve if it was gravity dhw, no cylinder stat.

No kyle it wouldn,t !! don,t know why people keep suggesting valves as you have stated that there is none.

Ahh can you remove the cover at all so you know exactly the layout ?

I think it would be a last resort to remove the panelling, wanted to see what peeps thought before I went into the demolition business,lol.
I have had a few people tell me to remove phial, observe boiler, get friend in attic, boil air lock away??,sounds dicy
I have had friend tell me to cut open pipework on cold feed to remove air lock??
Also read here it might be cold feed blockage.....
Which one, hehe

Lots of the old type back boiler installations had gravity hot water and suffered from the header tank running dry or a blocked cold feed pipe.The central heating would still work if that was the case

There maybe a manual air vent near the cyl boxed in. Or cold feed blocked. I did it on an old elson tank and just cracked the nut a little on the primary flow which did the trick.

Cool thx for feedback, will start with checking tanks, then cracking nut , hopefully this will sort problem, cheers,,,I will update post tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No hot water on what I believe to be a gravity system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock