Discuss no water upstairs! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robs

hi, i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

i've just noticed that i don't have any water available in my bathroom (upstairs on a standard house) - no hot or cold comes out of my washbasin and bath taps and the shower doesn't work. once flushed, my toilet cistern doesn't refill either.

downstairs, my cold water tap on my kitchen sink works but my hot doesn't. my central heating works throughout the house.

i have a combi boiler (no cistern tank in the loft) and all water pipes flowing in to/out off my combi boiler are warm (as I type the heating is on).

i've been down into my cellar and there are no obviou signs of leakage.

incidentally, the house next door to mine is vacant and has been so for a good few months. given the current cold weather i'm wondering if there could be a burst in that houe which is affecting mine?

any advice would be much appreciated.

many thanks

May be frozen pipes. Get some heating on! (and watch for any leaks when they thaw out).

Does your downstairs cold tap flow at the same rate as it usually does?

Last edited:
cheers - heating is on and will leave on all night. it must have happened during the day as taps worked this morning. heating has been on since 3pm and no sign of a thaw!

Does your downstairs cold tap flow at the same rate as it usually does?

...sorry, yes it's going fine with usual pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like frozen pipes mate, Just be careful when the thaw out that a fitting hasnt split or the pipe hasnt burst !. If you find where the pipe is froze just pour boiling water over it..on a towel or a hot water bottle over it

have been in cellar, checking all pipes and there are no obvious leaks....other than watching for puddles about the house i'm a bit stumped as to what to do next?

try turning your bath hot taps full on,
kitchen tap on just enough to cycle boiler for 20mins (better still fill a bucket then fill your bath with this water).
see if the hotter water creeps the pipes to thaw them, keep checking the bath taps for dripping water which will indicate thawing process.

yes depending on pipe location, the empty house will make yours a lot colder..

the more heat you can get onto the pipe runs the more it will thaw. watch for joints as these tend to burst first.

"better still fill a bucket then fill your bath with this water"

....sorry not sure what you mean by this, please can you explain?

thanks

turned hot tap on bath on and nothing's come through - not a drop!

Last edited by a moderator:
"better still fill a bucket then fill your bath with this water"

....sorry not sure what you mean by this, please can you explain?

thanks

turned hot tap on bath on and nothing's come through - not a drop!

instead of wasting the water fill up the bath, then use it.:rolleyes:

morning all,
left heating on all night and the frozen section resolved itself in the early hours. taps and home owner are doing fine. many thanks to all who very kindly gave their advice - it was very much appreciated.
all the best
rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to no water upstairs! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock