Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Nobody wants to replace my PRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Happy-Hippo

My boiler has a small leak and I have to manually increase the pressure every morning. As we have boiler cover they were called and guy came out and said it wasn't covered. Annoying but no real drama. Now Previously when this happened guy did the report and then offered to do the work and we took him up, not sure if that's against the rules but it all seemed above board.

This time though he just said we need to get a third party, so neighbor recommended someone and we gave her the report and she agreed. She said it was a pain in the bum job but was quoted £120 but then didn't turn up and "forgot" to order part and not returned calls since.

Random guy from google Number 2 was contacted and was busy after giving details.

So number 3 guy was found on Gas Safe Site gave him details part numbers etc on the phone and he quoted £300 + vat and could do it a month.

It's a Baxi Duo Tec 24he

Am I missing something here or just really unlucky? Is this job that bad that nobody is interested?

It. Shouldn't be much of a job dependant on the parts required.
Our engineers aren't allowed to do private jobs but some companies turn a blind eye.
Perhaps put a post on the 'looking for an engineer' section of this forum.

I know this doesn't help you. But a lot of our work seems to be just following the big boys around doing the work that their insurance doesn't cover!

Not sure what kind of boiler cover you have but if I was you with a Baxi I'd pay for cover with Heateam the service and maintenance arm of the Baxi boiler company.
They would have fixed your boiler by now.
Call them they have fixed price call out and monthly payment arrangements.
Heating help | contact us at heateam

Thanks for the replies and the offer to drive from Nottingham but we had someone quote over the phone £90. He actually turned up with the part. The missus said he was huffing and puffing and said he was having trouble, then at lunchtime he announced "a bit at the back had ceased" I was at work so that's all the info I could get. I decided I would go go home and see what was up but by the time I got there he had packed up all his tools and gone off to look for a part that would cost approx £85.

His phone was off for the next few hours. Later in the afternoon he phoned the missus and told her to ring another number he gave us and he would come and sort it out. So I phoned this guy he came out re-fitted the PRV. Turned out he had rounded off a couple of screws, turned the whole system off and done a runner!

New guy refitted PRV, recharged expansion vessel and spent a good 90 minutes giving it the once over all for £55. Not surprisingly the first guy hasn't been in touch. I'm a fair bloke and will pay him for a few hours of his time.

Not sure what kind of boiler cover you have but if I was you with a Baxi I'd pay for cover with Heateam the service and maintenance arm of the Baxi boiler company.
They would have fixed your boiler by now.
Call them they have fixed price call out and monthly payment arrangements.

We were covered with Scottish power, we took it out 3 months ago. Apparently we are not covered until we have a service. We had a letter through the post 3 days before the boiler broke saying they were coming out on a certain date to service it. So although we were paying for 3 months we weren't actually covered for anything!

i can understand why people take out insurance cover as they feel secure and the outgoing is regular but ultimatley they are a savings account where the interest gets paid to those running it rather than the saver
the first thing thats drummed in to anyone working for these schemes is look for a way out of doing the work
the second is do as little as you can get away with
which is a complete reversal of the way most people workif their reputation is on the line were always looking to do a complete job that we wont get called back to

i can understand why people take out insurance cover as they feel secure and the outgoing is regular but ultimatley they are a savings account where the interest gets paid to those running it rather than the saver
the first thing thats drummed in to anyone working for these schemes is look for a way out of doing the work
the second is do as little as you can get away with
which is a complete reversal of the way most people workif their reputation is on the line were always looking to do a complete job that we wont get called back to

There seems to be a complete lack of this work ethic in the 3 or 4 people i've dealt with in the last few weeks. I also need a new shower fitted, an outside tap, 2 new radiators and a new en-suite in a loft conversion I'm in the middle of doing, and I'm dreading put this lot out there!

Put an ad on here for your other work. I bet we have lads local to you on here. The bonus here is they will usually do a great job because the of the abuse they'll get from us otherwise :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Nobody wants to replace my PRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock