Discuss non paying customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
When a customer does not pay, do you send out a final notice warning or anything similar to help to prompt them into paying?

I clearly state on my invoice that the payment terms are 7 days, I have a customer who is being very awkward and is asking for copies of my receipts for the materials I supplied on the job. He will not pay until he has these apparently. I didn't even add any mark up to the materials I supplied and he has an invoice from me for them. I wont be giving him any copies of my receipts for them now as a matter of principle.

What is the best way to tackle this without kicking him door down and demanding the money. I was thinking an official looking final warning letter with threat of a debt collection agency may work.

How much does he owe you?

Hes not entitled to any paperwork, but you should have had a percentage on the materials. Whats his reason for not paying?

As far as I'm concerned the invoices for materials on my account are mine, if he wants the invoices he should have purchased the materials!

Was this for a quoted job? as if it was he has already agreed the costs!

I also have terms of payment but also add that if not settled within the agreed time then admin/ surcharges may be added!

I usually send a copy of the original stating that it is over due and that charges may be added if not payed, if that doesn't work send a third including admin fees and late payment charges and with that i normally get the amount of the first invoice!

Don't know if how this would stand up, but at least it on there and you do need to cover the cost of time spend re-issuing repeat invoices.

also state that all materials remain my property till all invoices are settled in full! again I don't think this stands up to much in court but its got go in your favor!!

most of my invoices for small jobs now contain more on the bottom about payment than on the actual invoice itself.

Sorry for the ramble!!

Hes not entitled to any paperwork, but you should have had a percentage on the materials. Whats his reason for not paying?

Owed about £800. The reason for not paying is that he doesn't have a copy of my receipts, he said he wont pay until I have sent him a copy. I have informed him that they are my receipts and the invoice I have sent him is the only one he needs. I normally add a mark up on, but this job I actually didn't. So its not even like I am trying to hide anything, he is just winding me up and I refuse to make him a copy as he has no right to have a copy.

It depends on how you quoted.

If you quoted "£300 + materials at cost" then I think he has reasonable grounds to ask to see the materials cost.

If you quoted ""£300 for labour + £500 for materials" then he can go whistle.

As a last warning, we fill out the court papers, and send a copy, recorded delivery to the debtors house with a covering note saying "if no money in x days, we file the court papers".

I would say a best he could reasonably ask for a break down of the invoice! which may be a compromise for you to make to speed along payment.

May by you could reissue the original invoice and include a brief break down of that invoice?

I quoted the full amount including all parts and labour which was accepted. I have already broken down the material and labour cost at his request, now its like he don't believe me and is trying to double check. He is just being a pain. I would rather take him to court than give him a copy of my documents, just to be awkward.

I quoted the full amount including all parts and labour which was accepted.

Was both quote and acceptance in writing?

If so, you are home and dry, provided that you did the job that is described on the quote.

I would rather take him to court than give him a copy of my documents, just to be awkward.

attaboy!

The quote was in writing, but I didn't get confirmation in writing as he called up to discuss the quote and give the go ahead. I should have got an email confirmation really, but then again I really shouldn't need it. People should just be true to their word and pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to non paying customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
Had a call to a 82 Old man, he paid these £300 up front for a years cover, and I find out on arrival he's been waiting for 3 weeks, no heating or...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I have been working for myself for around 2 years now and I have started doing work for bathroom shower in Glasgow. It worked great...
Replies
Views
Hey all Looking for a consensus on an issue that has arisen. Disclaimer is that my ideal icos 12 boiler Is over 10 years old but has been...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Last year, whilst working for a plumbing firm, we managed our team and office with a web and mobile app. Rather than use anything off the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock