Search the forum,

Discuss Official Bodies / Organisations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sanke

Hi all
Just wondering if any of you are member's of an official body e.g. CIPHE & if it has produced any work for you

OFTEC for two years and their advertising has produced one job for me. BUT ... lots of customers are more confident that I know what I'm talking about (wish I was!) and that I've gained a good knowledge of oil boilers. In addition it means I can charge more and when I explain about re-training, calibration of my FGA, etc they don't feel stung.

OFTEC. I always talk up and promote the fact that I am registered. The general customer perception I have come across is that unregistered oil technicians are cowboys and several ask to see my registration card before starting work.

Not all guys oil technicians are cowboys, some just don't want to pay for additional registrations fees. Gas Safe is compulsory for working with Gas, when the same applies with oil then I'll join up.

I would like to join up now, but lets face it, we spend fortunes on courses. I just had to cancel a course due to my work load, and lost my deposit of £100.

I employ a OFTEC guy for signing off and commisioning. I do the commisioning with him and it's not hard. Calibrate the air intake, the oil pump, do a smoke test and a combustion analysis. I can see that jo blogs plumber would need training to do this, but I have the training, but won't join another registration body when I don't have to.

never been rgistered apart from corgi and gas safe, expensive with little benefit

Hi Danny
I see from your website that you have associations with C & G BPEC CIPHE & Gas Safe. Gas Safe is compulsory but do you get any benefit from promoting the others ????

The C & G is the organisation that I trained with, and I'm a workplace recorder for them (meaning I train people for them).
BPEC is the same, it's the organisation I qualified with to work with natural Gas, and work with unvented DHW cylinders.

The only benefit of promoting them is to prove to people that I have spent the time and money to get professionally qualified, and I'm not a fly by night!

Gas Safe I'm registered with, and no again the only real benefit is allowing people to see that I'm qualified to work on their gas appliance.

CIPHE - total waste of money.

So in a nut shell, I'm sure people see from the above that I'm a properly trained plumber who is qualified and competant. I genuinely don't think its a big deal to most people though. I probably get asked to show my Gas Safe ID card once a year....won't be renewing CIPHE, but can keep the C&G, Gas Safe and BPEC as I'm qualified via them and continue to do more courses with them reguarly.

I'm also a member of the FSB but I haven't thrust that upon my poor customers....yet!

Last edited:
Just my opinion Toddy, but unless you're going to work abroad, i.e Hong Kong, I don't see the point.

You don't have to be qualified in this country to call yourself a plumber or engineer...and yes this proves that you are a qualified plumber, but as I have said above, people in this country don't ask to see your credentials.

I joined originally as I wanted to work in either Canada or Australia, and I was told this would help....I haven't had any work from being a member.

Just my opinion, nothing to say I'm right or if I'm talking complete nonsense!

Thats fair enough Danny.
See I think we should all have to register because as you say it proves you are qualified. Its all the customers fault not asking to see cards and proof etc.
To call yourself an engineer you should have to be registered with the Engineering Council at least at IEng or above.

What out DannyPipe we now have manufacturers, merchants, water and energy companies telling people about Registered Plumbers and Heating Professionals. We will also be advertising through the Rugby Football League this year, hope your advertising bill is not as the one being funded by all these industry supporters. If you do get asked about your CIPHE credentials why not tell your customers before they ask and explain what it means may be they would pick you over some amateur then.

CIPHE CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Official Bodies / Organisations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock