Discuss Oil boiler goes to lock-out at minus temps. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

perry57

Hiya guys,
all advice welcome on this one. I have a potterton statesman oil boiler which is fed by oil from an outdoor oil tank. Since the very low temperatures we,ve experienced in the uk the boiler won,t work. Our engineer says the potterton is in perfect working order. The kerosene doesn,t freeze- apparently but we,ve heard it can turn to a sludge. This breakdown occurred last winter for the first time since 1965. Am i destined to rip the whole system out and transfer to a gas boiler? Can it be that this particular setup just can,t cope with extremely low temperatures? We have exposed pipes from the oiltank to the boiler which are lagged by armaflex. I don,t believe we could totally bury all the pipes underground as some piping from the tank would always be exposed. What are my options as the misery of living in a cold house in is too much to bear. Just to add more info, when the temperature warmed up slightly the system worked just fine but went to lock-out during a really cold night. Any advice desperately needed please. Thnx!

Perry

There are a number of threads about freezing oil on this forum, mostly from the last few weeks! I have had an oil boiler fed from an external tank for near 20 years and never had a lock out due to the temperature. I live in a cold place, winter temp often down to what we have had recently in the uk. As said on a previous post, oil starts to 'wax' at about -9 but should not block your system. Perhaps the filter is to blame, or there is a bit of water in the tank which is freezing in the pipework. I have an underground pipe (not deep) with perhaps 0.5m exposed as it comes into the garage. Wouldn't recommend switching to gas - find the problem with this first. Check the filter is not gunged up, check the oil does not contain water. I have done this before with my old landrover - decant some into a jar and you should see if it contains globules of water (it separates from the oil)

Hot, wet towels to "unfreeze" the oil line. Worked for me with a customer's boiler and no problems since.

What 2 "breakdowns" due to low temperature since 1965 and you want to rip out your unreliable oil boiler infavour of a gas one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil boiler goes to lock-out at minus temps. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock