Discuss Oil Fired Heating System Noises? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcluskyisms

Hi,

We've not had the oil on much as it's been quite warm. Anyway, we've had it on lately due to the drop in temperatures and I've noticed that there's a noise coming from the pump in the airing cupboard (nothing that sounds too different from when it's running) although this is even when the heatings not on.

It did it for a brief time the first time we used it this year although I've noticed it more lately. I can even hear the burner in the outhouse occasionally running when no heating or water heating is on. It's got me concerned as I haven't noticed this on previous years, is this a normal occurrence or do I breed to fix something?

I'm not clued up on central heating systems at all although I know the pump isn't that old and I've also found this noise tends to stop after the heatings been on, also I'm noticing that one of the pipes running from the pump is warm whereas it's usually cold when the systems not running.

If anyone can shed a light on the matter it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Whirring, gurgling, slooshing, grinding or humming?

If it goes clang pip clang pip I'm afraid it's knackered, old fruit.

I'd say it's just a sight wirring, more or less like it's normal operating noise. I've found that if I put the heating or the water on for an hour it stops it. Certainly no clanging or other noises that sound bad.

If you are concerned then get somebidy in to give it the once over, even if its just for peace of mind.

I'd say more a wirring noise, more or less just like the normal operational noise of the pump running, I've found if I put the water/heating on for an hour it stops afterwards too. Certainly no clanging noises or anything that sounds overly concerning.

Just hoping that it's not running when I don't want it to be using oil.

If you are concerned then get somebidy in to give it the once over, even if its just for peace of mind.

Yeah I will do if I can't find out what's happening myself, can these oil CHS's be reset in anyway? The burners fine as that was bled last year and we've not ran out since. I'm more concerned that the pump in the airing cupboard seems to be running sometimes when the systems not in use, or is that normal?

I just reread your post. You got a 3 ports or two zone valves?

Sounds like you've got a sticky actuator.

What you can do in the meantime is turn the power off to your heating system when you don't want it on. That'll save the oil.

I just reread your post. You got a 3 ports or two zone valves?

Sounds like you've got a sticky actuator.

What you can do in the meantime is turn the power off to your heating system when you don't want it on. That'll save the oil.

I haven't a clue about your first question, I'm wet behind the ears when it comes to central heating and plumbing in all honesty. I can certainly kill the power to the system though when not in use.

I just wondered if there was a system where it would run the pump occasionally to maintain itself in some way, as mentioned the pump is relatively new and I hadn't noticed this noise previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil Fired Heating System Noises? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock