Search the forum,

Discuss Old pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Went to a property, yesterday, where the occupier wanted me to remove some redundant pipework but I had to leave it as it's an old steel gas pipe to where a previous occupier had a gas fire (Still arguing about my GSR entry so I'm not yet legal). The thing is that as I was looking at it it just didn’t seem right and Id like to know if it was just me or if it actually needs removing; The pipework is ½" steel and its fixed directly to the brick wall (The old metal hook type clips keep it against the wall) and it is inside boxing with no access. I traced the pipe and it travels across the room before disappearing somewhere into the ceiling void. [It] doesn't have any protection and looks to be about 30 years old or more. Like I said, I would like to know if I was right in telling them to get the landlord to have it removed.

Redundant gas pipes shall be disconnected from supply as close as reasonably practicable. Redundant Pipes which conveyed gas shall be sealed with approbate material

Is it redundant or currently unused?
If it's redundant because a boiler had been repositioned and the supply was capped at the old position then it should be cut back and capped as it won't be needed, however if it's a capped supply for a fire or cooker they could go back in again then it's perfectly acceptable to leave it capped , it's really the owners decision to pay to remove capped supplies, and it isn't mandatory remove the redundant ones but is considered good practice

It's more about the pipe, it's age, proximity to the bare brickwork, & it's condition really. It's an unused old steel pipe that's capped.

Robert tyrell now you are mentioning the condition of the pipe is causing some concern, you didn't mention that in the original post, so is the MI showing signs of corrosion or is it just looking like a 30yr old pipe? The fact it's on bare brickwork doesn't matter as it's MI, but that's something you should know,

old iron pipes like that will be ok forevever and a day provided there not in an environment that causes damp ie there isnt rising damp affecting it and causing corrosion (due to the clips) or unwrapped and buried. Its quite thick walled so if its not rusty then should be ok. A full inspection and test would be preferable when you get your gsr entry though..if your worried get a gsr to have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have recently moved in to a house and in one of the kitchen units where I want to put a intergrated freezer there is a small pipe coming out of the wall. Assuming it's a old gas pipe for the cooker that's been capped as the kitchen no longer requires it. Can this be removed by a...
Replies
Views
All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and capped gas fire. The old gas line went straight out the back wall and was visibly capped a short distance from the gas meter. A simple pull out job. Upon...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm installing a walk in shower, opening into shower will be on right, mixer value on right, but shower head and drain on left. The pipe work from the shower mixer valve is exposed silver colour pipework. the pipe work will run up from the valve then take a hard left at the ceiling...
Replies
Views
Think I know the answer is no but asking just in case. I have a solvent weld bathroom waste with lots of connectors in it that disappears into the wall with a right angle connector. There is no place to break into it to connect up a new arrangement for a new sink. So does anyone make a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock