Discuss On-Call (frozen condense) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GreenArmy

oh dear! what a week on-call! Have had the busiest week ever with loads of burst pipes and have had to help out with boiler breakdowns.
Now every frozen condense pipe ive done this week is from the Worcester Greenstar range. 22mm frozen, 1 1/4 frozen all different lengths (its been quite unbelievable really).
I was thinking how strange its just Greenstars that ive had frozen and was wondering if its just the fact that the ones ive been given are worcesters or does there seem to be a trend here?

Last edited by a moderator:
oh dear! what a week on-call! Have had the busiest week ever with loads of burst pipes and have had to help out with boiler breakdowns.
Now every frozen condense pipe ive done this week is from the Worcester Greenstar range. 22mm frozen, 1 1/4 frozen all different lengths (its been quite unbelievable really).
I was thinking how strange its just Greenstars that ive had frozen and was wondering if its just the fact that the ones ive been given are worcesters or does there seem to be a trend here?

Well it proves Worcester are good condensing boilers,I wonder how many of these so called HE boilers boilers make the grade as alot do not seem to condensate that much at all

Well it proves Worcester are good condensing boilers,I wonder how many of these so called HE boilers boilers make the grade as alot do not seem to condensate that much at all
That's what i was thinking. Had an old bloke giving me a right hard time this morning as his had frozen for the 5th day in a row. He thought i worked for the contractor that done the install (who had been back to make external condense pipe bigger (1 1/4)). When i said its just the extreme weather he was arguing like mad that it was installed wrong (it isnt). Thought he was going to have a heart attack the stubbon old sod. Had to calm the situation and tell him that i take on board his complaint and will pass on to my supervisor.
Had another bloke this week who had a frozen water main (so no water) who argued that i had to get water on for him or couldnt i phone the water board to find where its frozen? Some people..........

i had a call back to a 42cdi that i fitted......boiler wouldn't fire up,turns out the condense pipe was also frozen!! what a pain in the ar*e!! no where to run the the condense pipe internally so unfortunately and ironicaly when the weather is at it's coldest the boiler may not work!!!

Maybe going to have to think about some system of heat trace on condenate pipework

so what is the easiest or best way to try and thaw out the condense pipe

depends really. I thawed out a few short 22mm runs with a bowl of hot water, then on the next one which was 1 1/4 and running approx 2.5 meters used 4 kettles of boiling water which still didnt thaw all of it. One of our guys has been sawing it off internally and leaving a bowl under it but not really practical for a 96 year old. The worcester website has a page on thawing the condense pipe. Common winter boiler enquiries - Worcester, Bosch Group UK installer site for details.

Hair dryer to gently thaw it out would be my guess not sure I will tell the mrs though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to On-Call (frozen condense) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock