Discuss Outdoor stopcock leaking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
I have noticed there is a leak on my outdoor stopcock. This morning it was full to the lid so I syphoned the water out assuming it was due to the heavy rain the before but then 6 hours later noticed its full again. Is this a problem Thames Water has responsibility to fix or is it up to me?

Attachments

• 20200607_180221.jpg
    20200607_180221.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200607_180845.jpg
    20200607_180845.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 21
If the stop tap is on your property, rather that the pavement it is your responsibility. A plumber should be able to turn the one off in the road and wind out the head and replace.

Thank you. Does anyone know roughly the cost to get this sorted?
[automerge]1591555552[/automerge]
I've just found this statement on the Thames Water "how to find and use your outside stop valve" :

"If your outside stop valve is faulty, please let us know. Our repairs are completed during quieter periods of the year therefore we can’t provide a timescale."

Doesn't this mean it is the responsibility of Thames Water to repair?

Last edited:
If it is your external stop tap from the mains in the road and there is no other, external tap, it should be their responsibility. I work mostly in the North West with United Utilities responsible for the water and they would sort that not the home owner. Not sure if it is different in other areas but usually the first stop tap off the mains externally belongs to and is maintained by the provider not customer. Essentially it is a fresh water leak and should be a priority given the fact they are already discussing hose pipe bans!

Sometimes boundaries get moved whilst houses are being built and the stop tap can end up within the house boundary.

One of my own previous houses had the stop tap in the middle of next doors front garden.

Reply to Outdoor stopcock leaking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi there I fitted a Sanicompact 43 about10 years ago. A few years ago i noticed that it would intermittently activate in the middle of the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a query in relation to stopcock valves for the main cold water supply into the flat just before the water meter inside the flat...
Replies
Views
D
Building Description A new (23 years old) 1 story small block of 7 flats. water enters the building and distributed to each flat from a communal...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock