Discuss Outdoor tap not up to water regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I was called out to fix an outdoor tap last week - it had a pinhole leak on the metal on the backplate. I simply fitted a new backplate, and put the original tap back on (at the request of the customer, who didn't see the need to spend £8 on a new tap).
I also advised him that the installation didn't meet the water regs, and told him about check valves and back flow/siphonage risks. His outdoor tap doesn't contain check valves, and I said I could fit one that does.
Blue poly pipe runs under his garden and pops up in a flower bed. He doesn't know where it tees off from (and wasn't minded to look for it), so can't isolate it, and possibly doesn't have a double check valve at the other end. We had to turn off the stopcock in the house to work on it. The pipe is poorly insulated - it has a kind of material rubbery lagging, with no boxing around the pipe.
I pointed this out to him. He was on a budget, and just wanted the leak to be fixed. Because our local water authority had detected the leak, and had been round and looked at his tap - and hadn't mentioned the regs - he decided to just deal with the leak.
So.. two questions.
1. Did I fulfill my responsibilities as a plumber? Should I have refused to screw the original tap back on, as going on a new backplate turns it into a new installation?
2. I doubt he'll spend the money on it, but what do you reckon on this solution I found at Standpipe | Tap Boxes
Thanks again for your advice.
Jennie

You can't police the country.......just do what he asked, tell him your reservations about the regs , but in fairness the public don't give a hoot if its gonna cost them & if you persist you or your company will lose that customer..

i agree with clarky, you pointed out what was wrong with the installation so did your part. as you said they wanted a cheap job doing so wouldn't have stumped up to rectify the situation.

Probably more than 50% of all outside taps dont meet water regs. The one outside my house is the original one when I moved in and I doubt theres a non-return valve on it (would have to dismantle the kitchen to check). No risk of backflow here as the pressure is pushing 7 bar.

Probably more than 50% of all outside taps dont meet water regs. The one outside my house is the original one when I moved in and I doubt theres a non-return valve on it (would have to dismantle the kitchen to check). No risk of backflow here as the pressure is pushing 7 bar.

you can get the taps with built in check valve...

Even at 7 bar there is a back flow risk, we have all seen the pic of the hosepipe left in a dirty pond... Then if the tap was left open & the water board turned the water off then it could siphon dirty pond water into the water mains...

All new installations must have check valves in line.

Taps with built in check valves are OK until you get a hard frost and the thing splits.

As an outside water chap, I fit outside taps for custards who need it say for the vege patch, and found the double check valve bib taps are useless in the frost, as the bit of water trapped between the the two valves freezes, then explodes the internals once thawed,often splitting the SO CALLED BRASS, rendering it fit for the bin, this is despite isolating it within a chamber, to date I would say the old brass taps are best ,but we cant fit them.

the taps with integral dcv aren't allowed under the water regs for new installs only to replace existing ones. i don't fit them at all because they can and do fail under freezing conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outdoor tap not up to water regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock