Search the forum,

Discuss Outside tap instalation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyespy999

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone could help with this one please. Planning to install an outside tap from a static mobile home (basically a posh caravan). The run from under the kitchen to where the tap needs to be is about 20 metres. I have been looking at the Philmac range at plumbase, I was thinking of running the pipe to the tap under the van. Is it possible to copper (15mm) into the philmac fitting under the kitchen then run the pipe to its destination? I have only ever used copper and pushfit pipe at college and not used the MDPE pipe before. I have seen the blue MDPE un insulated on campsites at drinking water stations, does this need to be insulated and if so what does anyone recommend please.

Thanks for your help.

Hi and welcome along

MDPE should be fine for what you are looking at Doing. I would definitely insulate it. If you can run it in copper then all the better but definitely insulate that. Also remember an isolation valve and a double check valve to meet water regs

Just ensure that you use the correct pipe inserts to maintain the structure of the pipe if you decide to go plastic

Last edited:
Oh god here we go the dreaded outside tap thread !!
Quite simply the most confusing technical job in plumbing

Eye spy, remember to put boss white and hemp around you elbow in plastic and solder the plastic away from the wall in case of fire outbreak. Good luck

Another one ? Forum filling up with idiots tonight or is it 1 disgruntled man?

Why would you put hemp on a plastic elbow. Maybe better advise would be to make sure you use an insert!

Why would you put hemp on a plastic elbow. Maybe better advise would be to make sure you use an insert!

thats not the worse part who would try and solder plastic :D

The hemp got me 1st Shaun, I didn't even get as far as soldering plastic :banghead:

used to boss white and hemp the tap into the female iron to copper :D

used to boss white and hemp the tap into the female iron to copper :D

Have used hemp before but like you said in the right circumstances, but on plastic that would be a new one lol

Consider using 15mm Hep2 O pipe.
Stainless inserts minimise restriction on bore.
Compression and push fit fittings are compatible with 15mm copper .
Insulation is same as for copper and readily available.

I think most caravans have push fit/ hep pipe installs just make sure you use a double check outside tap, or have an inline valve on pipe. You should be able to buy a straight through back plate (female iron) which you can attach you ost too ..you should have a lip underneath floor level you can drill through. Attach the bracket with self tapping screws. Make sure you have an isolator and drain off for harsh winters. Neoprene lagging would be your best bet for sound insulation

I think most caravans have push fit/ hep pipe installs just make sure you use a double check outside tap, or have an inline valve on pipe. You should be able to buy a straight through back plate (female iron) which you can attach you ost too ..you should have a lip underneath floor level you can drill through. Attach the bracket with self tapping screws. Make sure you have an isolator and drain off for harsh winters. Neoprene lagging would be your best bet for sound insulation

Needs a double check valve inline whether there's one in the tap or not

I believe it's because the tap has the potential to be changed to one without in the future

Have to admit this has always puzzled me, could you explain why if I ask nicely.

I was under the impression it was also because if a tap with check valve is fitted but the supply is left on over winter the check valve can be damaged by frost

Have to admit this has always puzzled me, could you explain why if I ask nicely.

That's how its shown in the water regs book,
But what if the tap is changed in the future
The in tap dcv can be damaged by frost
Also those taps are made to be fitted when a outside tap is replaced that has no dcv inside

most importantly drain down ye caravan water pipes hot and cold down when the season ends or lots of burst pipes when you come back the following year or employ someone who knows how to as can save ye a fortune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside tap instalation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock