Discuss Outside tap split - replacement advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the error of forgetting to cover and isolate my outside tap and have suffered a burst pipe due to the recent freezing weather conditions.

The vertical part of the white plastic pipe shown below has split.
(tap is now isolated so not leaking)
upload_2018-3-4_11-23-44.png

from the inside the pipe work looks like this....

upload_2018-3-4_11-25-9.png

Is it possible to replace only split bit of pipe work? ( i dont think so as it looks like the elbows are glued/bonded)

shouldn't be a major trouble for me to replace the lot but i wanted to check what you guys would recommend using to replace the pipe work?

plastic or copper?

If i go for plastic, whats the correct adhesive ill need to bond the joints?

I've got a gas torch so i'm happy to have a go at soldering up some copper pipe if you guys reckon that's the better option

Replace with copper
As far as i know solvent weld plastic inst commonly used domestically any more
Dont forget a check valve

My bedmst advice (assuming you actually know how to solder):
Remove everything back to internal tap. Use copper and a double check valve internally.
The clever bit (IMO): use a 1/2"Female X 15mm connector. Fit the new tap into the 1/2". Solder a length about 750mm to other end. Use a masonry drill bit obout 3/4" to enlarge the hole but only to a depth of approx 5-10mm. Push the pipe into the existing hole in the wall. Use a hammer to tap the tap fully home and wedged. Cut the pipe inside to a correct protrusion length and connect via a DCV to the tap.

In this way, you can isolate the tap and open it, thus draining it and avoiding the freeze.

Technically, I know the pipe should be slightly.

You can buy the pipe and fitting preassembled from, for example, Screwfix.

And don't buy a tap with incorporated check valve. Have the double check valve inside the building and a normal outside tap without check valve on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside tap split - replacement advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm having an issue with my outside tap not working, the tiniest of dribbles comes put each time I try it. Ive changed the tap to no avail...
Replies
Views
Hi I am trying to replace my bathroom tap with a new one, I am trying to remove the existing rusty flexible tap connectors from this bit of 22mm...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a DIYer, successfully fitted an external garden tap, supply sourced from downstairs loo, standard 13 mil copper pipework, in-line...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock