Currently reading:
Part L compliance

Discuss Part L compliance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

ballcock

Hi All,

I am a new member and would like to thank in advance anybody who can answer my question regarding the fitting of thermostatic radiator valves
I have previously read as a guest, a request for similar advice but was still unsure of the advice given, so I am sorry for having to elicit the same information. I do so for clarity.
I am having a new combination boiler installed to replace my old regular type central heating boiler and have been informed by the plumber that it is a REQUIREMENT under part L to have thermostatic radiator valves fitted to all existing radiators in my dwelling. I have previously used approved documents in my job as a fire officer regarding fire alarms and emergency lighting systems and know that those regulations were not retrospective. I would be inclined to apply the same logic to part L but need this clarifying. My plumber has said that previously he has been pulled up for not installing these valves but did not say whether this was by Corgi or the local authority building control department. Although I do want to install thermostatic valves in one area in particular I do not want to have them throughout my dwelling. What is the truth on this subject?

regards,

ballcock :confused:

yes you do need trvs under part l except in the room the roomstat goes in as they would work against each other btw the roomstat is also a part l requirement,however as far as i know you can also refuse as long as the plumber puts this in writeing and you sign it

you would not be pulled up for it fitting it into your own house.

but if a plumber designed it and did it for you he should follow the regs

Not only that but I find that old rad valves are one of the weakest links when presurising (sp) an old system as they often weep from the packing gland, I change both valves now unless they look in near new condition, for the little extra outlay that they cost and the greater comfort in individual room temperature they can create its a no brainer for me.

yes you do need trvs under part l except in the room the roomstat goes in as they would work against each other btw the roomstat is also a part l requirement,however as far as i know you can also refuse as long as the plumber puts this in writeing and you sign it
im under the impression that its only bedrooms that must have them fitted but definatly need a room stat

part l requires trvs to bedrooms as a min and also some form of time control and thermostat

Boilers and heating systems are classed as controlled services and if you do upgrade the service then you have to bring the service up to standard.

The requirement is for time and temperature control of the heating system. This is usually achieved by having a programmer to provide time control and then TRV’s to bedrooms to provide temperature control to the “sleeping” areas and a Room Thermostat located in the hall or living room to provide temperature control to the “Living areas”.

Im pretty sure part L is new builds only, and pretty sure your not required to do anything like that on existing, maybe if there were fitting a whole new system this would be the case.

Although If your having a new combi fitted, I would always recommend having TRV's fitted, isnt much extra work if its being drained. Just helps boost efficency and control room tempertures.

Part L is not just new build or even extensions it applies to “controlled equipment and services” of which heating and hot water generation is.

This is why all new boilers have to be high efficiency and the installation has to be notified to Building Control.

Thanks everybody for your input on the subject. Nothing changed as far as approved documents are concerned, grey areas everywhere, open to individual interpretation.
I guess the best option for me is to install them apart from where the room stat is for reason stated. It would help if these documents were written in 'plain speak' so us simple folk (me) could understand them. In fire reports we used the terminology 'may' or 'shall'. May gave you the option but shall indicated compulsion, so much easier. Thanks once again.

regards,

ballcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Part L compliance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock